Jemma Snowdon" />

Sheffield Wednesday kick-off their pre-season with 3 new signings

With the new 2021/22 season on the horizon, Sheffield Wednesday have signed three new players this summer. Darren Moore will have to hope that these players will help to improve the squad’s success in response to the team’s relegation from the Championship last season.

Defender Jaden Brown is the latest signing for the Owls. The 22-year-old made 29 league appearances for his previous club, Huddersfield Town, in the 2020/21 season before being released this summer. Fans could see Brown make his debut against his old club when the Owl’s play their first match of the Cabraro Cup against the Terriers on 1st August.

Next of Darren Moore’s list of signings is former Everton U23s’ Denis Adeniran, who made his debut for his new club in a pre-season friendly against Chester on 10th July. Adeniran, aged 22, hit the crossbar in his debut match, just missing out on his first goal for the club. With this in mind, the midfielder looks like an exciting prospect for the new season.

24-year-old Olamide Shodipo joins the squad on a season-long loan from Queens Park Rangers. The winger was previously loaned to Oxford United last season and led the U’s to the League One play-offs with 13 league goals. Sheffield Wednesday will be hoping for similar success to bring them back into the Championship. If the club manages to navigate itself out of League One, we could see a Sheffield derby against Sheffield United, who were relegated from the Premier League last season.

Sunderland’s football crisis which has seen the squad playing third-tier football since the 2018/19 season, should be a warning to Owl fans and remind them they should not underestimate the difficulty of League One football. Despite this, approaching the new season with hope and optimism is necessary for the squad to build back their confidence after their recent setback.

All eyes will be n new manager Darren Moore and his new signings as they hope to rectify the mistakes of last season and ensure that Sheffield Wednesday get themselves back into the Championship.

The Owls’ next fixture is a friendly against Barnsley on 17th July at Oakwell Ground stadium, where fans will be hoping to catch a glimpse of these new squad members.

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...

Grammy-Nominees announced for Migration Matters Festival

The line-up for this year’s Migration Matters Festival has been unveiled, with a range of artists, professionals, youth groups and others taking part to...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of find glory in futsal 2s fixture

A sizeable crowd gathered at the English Institute of Sport to watch the Steel City’s two university futsal teams lock horns on the day...

SUTCo reveals Show Proposal dates & EGM

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have begun preparations for their first semester productions in 2024/25, launching proposal applications for prospective production teams. The...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take home futsal 1s bragging rights in thrilling encounter

The futsal 1s fixture was an end-to-end affair which saw the University of Sheffield take home a 4-3 victory thanks to an all-round team...

Local Theatre Review: The Shorts

Original writing, for me, is always the most exciting thing about theatre, especially when such stories are told by local groups in small, intimate...