Jemma Snowdon" />

Skateboard Society enjoy the sport’s Olympic debut in Tokyo

Skateboarding made its first appearance in the Olympics this year in Tokyo. This was a perfect opportunity for the sport to gain some well-deserved recognition among the general public.

Park and street were the two categories of the sport added to the international competition.

With the average age of female competitors being around 14 and the average age of male skateboarders being under 23, the Olympic committee has made a commendable effort to encourage more enthusiasm from younger viewers.

Skateboarding has been brought in alongside other urban sports such as surfing and karate.

The University of Sheffield Skateboarding society stated that they were ‘super hyped’ to see more people watching the sport.

With the sport often being male-dominated, the society found it extremely encouraging to see female role models such as Britain’s youngest ever Olympian Sky Brown. Sky had a tremendous run in Tokyo winning a bronze medal in the women’s park final.

However, they felt that creativity and improving as a community was more important in skateboarding, rather than points on a scoreboard and hoped that the way the sport was judged in the Olympics doesn’t discourage people from getting involved themselves.

Despite this, the publicity that comes with being a part of the Olympics will no doubt help the sport to reach out to people who are interested in trying something new.

Skateboarding has received £1,350,000 in funding to prepare for the next Olympics in Paris.

The number of sports receiving funding for the Olympics has been stretched from 32 to 43 sports with some sports such as Rowing and Swimming seeing a reduction.

Although Karate will not be seen in the Paris Olympics in 2024, Skateboarding has been provisionally approved to make its second appearance as an event.

The skateboarding community will be hoping that this funding will help to maintain the momentum from the success seen in this year’s Olympics. We may even see more British skateboarders on our screen join Sky Brown amongst the medal-winning athletes.

VARSITY 2024: Hallam beats Uni of in a showstopper of a comeback game

Sheffield Hallam secured a staggering 40-6 victory against the University of Sheffield after a match filled with changeable weather and passionate play. Seven minutes into...

Smoking ban could boost economy by £10bn according to Sheffield academics

A smoke-free England could boost the economy by over £10.9 billion according to ‘milestone’ academic research. The research, led by the University of Sheffield’s Addictions...

AGMs 2024: SUTCo Announce 2024/25 Committee Members

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have elected members to their 2024/25 committee, following their annual AGM. Held on April 15th for Senior Committee...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield clinch nail-biting victory in rugby 2s showdown

The University of Sheffield continued their impressive Men’s Rugby Union 2s recent Varsity record, coming out 21-19 victors in a closer-than-expected Varsity thriller at...

VARSITY 2024: Hallam narrowly lose out in close-fought women’s rugby tie

In a clash of grit and determination, the Women's Rugby Union 1st teams from the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University squared off...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield continue winning streak in men’s rugby union (1st XV)

With today’s victory, Uni Of has now won Men’s Rugby (1st XV) eight years in a row. Despite challenging weather and a second-half red...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take women’s hockey victory for second year running

The University of Sheffield women’s first team celebrated a victory against Sheffield Hallam 1s at their home pitch on Tuesday 16 April. Led by...