Jemma Snowdon" />

Sheffield Wednesday left frustrated after a 1-1 draw with Accrington Stanley

20,688 people were in attendance to watch Sheffield Wednesday take on Accrington Stanley at Hillsborough Stadium last night.

The long-awaited fixture finally took place after a flooded pitch meant the match couldn’t take place on 16th February. The previous match-up resulted in a 2-3 win to the Owls on 20th November.

Darren Moore brought in Liam Palmer, Dominic Iorfa, and Callum Paterson to his starting line-up, benching Jack Hunt, Lewis Gibson and Lee Gregory. Accrington Stanley made a couple of changes, starting Ethan Hamilton and Marcel Lewis, while Liam Coyle was benched.

The game started well with both sides having equal possession. The first two challenges of the game came from Brannan and Berahino, both claimed by the keeper.

Accrington Stanley had their fair share of possession midway through the first half but couldn’t challenge Peacock-Farrell. Paterson came up with the final promising chance of the first half but was denied a goal by Savin. The scoreboard remained 0-0 at half-time.

As the second half went underway, Sheffield Wednesday seemed to pick it up a notch, but it was still anybody’s game. In the 54th minute, Luongo just missed out on a goal, firing the ball over the crossbar.

On the hour mark, Darren Moore made his first sub of the night, bringing Lee Gregory on for Berahino, while a Stanley player received treatment from the medics.

A dangerous challenge saw Sam Hutchinson pick up the only yellow card of the night against Rodgers. The Owls battled for more possession, and finally, Callum Patterson scored the first goal of the game with 65 minutes on the clock. Jack Hunt almost made it 2-0 with his chance, but the ball flew above the crossbar. 

With 20 minutes left to play, Darren Moore replaced Barry Bannan with Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, hoping to add another goal onto the scoresheet. 

Soon after, Accrington Stanley made a second change in the 79th minute, bringing on Liam Coyle for Rosaire Longelo. This substitution seemed to be what Stanley needed as the team equalised four minutes later via an own-goal from Marvin Johnson.

The score finished 1-1 at full time, and a frustrated Sheffield Wednesday left the pitch with only a point.

Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell; Iorfa, Hutchinson, Storey; Palmer (Hunt 45’), Byers, Luongo, Bannan (Dele-Bashiru 72’), Johnson; Paterson, Berahino (Gregory 59’). Unused subs: Wildsmith, Dunkley, Sow, Kamberi.

Accrington Stanley: Savin; Longelo-Mbule (Coyle 80’), Sykes, Nottingham, Rodgers, McConville; Butcher, Pell, Hamilton; Lewis (Amankwah 52’), Bishop. Unused subs: Isherwood, Conneely, Adekoya, Morgan, Nolan.

Bookings: Sheffield Wednesday: Hutchinson 64’.

Goals: Sheffield Wednesday: Paterson 66’.

Accrington Stanley: Johnson (o.g.) 83’.

Attendance: 20.688

Referee: Ross Joyce

Q&A: Comedian Miles Jupp on Acting, his New Tour and Major Neurosurgery

Miles Jupp sets out on a brand new stand-up tour in 2024. His On I Bang tour started at the Epsom Playhouse on January...

Commons Catch-Up April 18th: An Editor’s Opinion

Marking the first such session since Parliament’s return from the Easter Recess, Thursday April 18th saw ministers from the Department of Culture, Media &...

Building health systems resilience in armed conflict: The imperative for SheffWHO 2024

The world is witnessing a worrying resurgence and intensification of armed conflicts, leading to massive humanitarian crises and unprecedented strain on healthcare systems. In...

Live Review: Cassyette @ The Leadmill

To understand what to expect from Cassyette’s ‘This World F***ing Sucks’ tour, you can look no further than her history. Having performed with behemoths...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of clinically dispatch Hallam in Men’s 1s football clash

The University of Sheffield survived a brief Sheffield Hallam fightback to secure victory over their near neighbours, thanks to their first-half display. Both sides had beaten...

Reading for Diversity’s First Gen Voices Reading Group Announced

The Book Society and the University of Sheffield Library have invited students to participate in their First Gen Voices Reading Group, the latest event...

SUTCo Opens Show Proposals for 2024/25 Semester 1

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have opened applications for show proposals for the first semester back in September. The biannual process, taking place...