Amy Mullen-Brown" />

Sheffield Vegan food spots perfect for Spring

As we begin to approach the warmer months, there are so many cafes and restaurants in Sheffield which will provide you with a fresh bite to eat.

Whether you’re looking for a quick stop off between lectures or alternatively a sit-down place for dinner- here are my favourite places for fresh plant-based summer foods.

South Street Kitchen (vegan and vegetarian) 

With a lunch & dinner menu alongside themed food nights, SSK is the perfect dine-in spot just behind the Sheffield train station. 

Their lunch menu offers a range of vegan options perfect for the summer months. The falafel and hummus wrap is a personal favourite of mine which comes with a tasty sun-dried tomato sauce and salad with tahini dressing.

Other vegan options include: Homemade Granola, Mushrooms on toast, Hummus Plate, Mezze Plate, Soup of the Day with za’atar flatbread and many more.

Past themed nights have included: Veganuary Burger Night, Egyptian Mezze Night, Dumpling Evenings, Syrian Evening, to name a few. Lots of these nights appear several times a year so it’s good to keep an eye on their socials!

The themed nights allow chefs to take over and serve up small plate menus that reflect their creativity and passion for fresh produce.

Because of it’s location, SSK offers great views over Sheffield and is perfect for a sunset dinner or a sunny lunch outside. 

Pom Kitchen (vegan)

Although this Aussie inspired cafe is known for their extravagant desserts- they also offer great seasonal options, and summer is no exception!

Their cafe is takeaway only so perfect for on the go. Last summer, some items on their menu included: Pom Noodz with fresh veggies, Açai Bowls and Nachos with Guacamole. Their unique summer drinks including a Dragon Fruit Refresher topped with fruit, and Blue Matcha drinks are also ones to try

photo courtesy of Amy Mullen Brown

The whole place is picture-perfect and so are their products. Their special release items from last spring/ summer were a BBQ Box and Picnic Box. I’m hoping they make a comeback this year- they’ll be great for a sunny day with your friends.

Gaard Coffee (vegan)

Located in the city centre, Gaard is so convenient for those one hour breaks between lessons. My personal favourite item would be their sandwiches. They are so fresh and always offer great fillings. Some include: No-Meatball with ‘mozzarella’ peppers and mixed-leaf, ‘Tuna’ with spring onion and cucumber, Coronation ‘Chicken’ with mixed-leaf and more.

Other items perfect for the warmer months include: Hoisin ‘Duck’ Buddha Bowl and Beetroot Falafel Wrap.

They have two sites in Sheffield- one at West One and the other at Kelham Island. Both sites offer different items and are perfect lunch spots.

Birdhouse Tea Company (vegan options available)

Although this tea bar & kitchen is not completely vegan, they offer some great vegan options. Some include: Super Berry Smoothie Bowl, Blueberry and Maple Pancakes, Raspberry and Pistachio Pancakes and other main menu/ counter items.

They also have the most beautiful courtyard perfect to eat in during warmer months. The clean boho vibe makes it an elegant and relaxing place to eat.

It’s a perfect sit-in kitchen and bar and especially nice for brunch.

Tigs (vegan)

This coffee and bagel house is a lovely quick stop off for delicious plant based foods. The cafe has a real cosy and intimate feel.

One stand out item from the menu is their toasted banana bread with vanilla yogurt, granola and blueberries. The presentation of the food is always lovely too.

Other menu items great for summer are: Tigs Salad Bowl, Ava Bagel with Facon, Mushroom on Toast and many more!

Sheffield Vegan Food Market (vegan)

Alongside the establishments mentioned, the vegan markets come to Sheffield four Sundays every year. They offer an amazing selectio

n of foods from loads of independent businesses.

They are returning to Sheffield on April 17 just next to The Moor, town centre. 

Amy Mullen Brown

Q&A: Comedian Miles Jupp on Acting, his New Tour and Major Neurosurgery

Miles Jupp sets out on a brand new stand-up tour in 2024. His On I Bang tour started at the Epsom Playhouse on January...

Commons Catch-Up April 18th: An Editor’s Opinion

Marking the first such session since Parliament’s return from the Easter Recess, Thursday April 18th saw ministers from the Department of Culture, Media &...

Building health systems resilience in armed conflict: The imperative for SheffWHO 2024

The world is witnessing a worrying resurgence and intensification of armed conflicts, leading to massive humanitarian crises and unprecedented strain on healthcare systems. In...

Live Review: Cassyette @ The Leadmill

To understand what to expect from Cassyette’s ‘This World F***ing Sucks’ tour, you can look no further than her history. Having performed with behemoths...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of clinically dispatch Hallam in Men’s 1s football clash

The University of Sheffield survived a brief Sheffield Hallam fightback to secure victory over their near neighbours, thanks to their first-half display. Both sides had beaten...

Reading for Diversity’s First Gen Voices Reading Group Announced

The Book Society and the University of Sheffield Library have invited students to participate in their First Gen Voices Reading Group, the latest event...

SUTCo Opens Show Proposals for 2024/25 Semester 1

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have opened applications for show proposals for the first semester back in September. The biannual process, taking place...