By Nicole Calogero" />

Student-Led Festival Returns to Sheffield

One feature that distinguishes Sheffield from neighbouring cities, especially Manchester, is the slower pace of life, closer to what can be found in large towns. However, for some students, this town-like atmosphere could come to feel restraining since Sheffield does not really offer certain amenities more common in bigger cities, nonetheless, this is by no means always a limitation because the “Steel City” returned into the spotlight. Indeed, from the 25 until February 27, Sheffield University Morris proudly hosted the Inter-Varsity Folk Dance Festival  (shortened to IVFDF).

Absolutely, IVFDF is an enticing experience. According to the official Sheffield IVFDF 2022  webpage the event “is the country’s longest continually run folk festival”, attracting large crowds from Edinburgh to Exeter. Anyone seriously involved in the world of folk dances strives to attend regardless of the location. In fact, every year, a different university hosts this weekend-long dance and workshops festival. Sheffield seems to be a household name, recurring frequently as a location, roughly every five years. Unlike other folk festivals, IVFDF is primarily aimed at students, but everyone can essentially participate. Still, the large student presence allows IVFDF to be relatively affordable. For instance, adult unwaged weekend tickets sold for £24 each. 

The last edition of IVFDF, due to Covid regulation, occurred largely online, therefore 2022 held special significance because it brought the long-awaited return in person and Sheffield University Morris (Dancing Society) are particularly grateful that they were able to help with the return of a large scale festival in person after years of Covid-19 restrictions. Despite the lifting of restrictions, safety continued to be the main priority, and similarly to other large scale events, upon entry, the participants were asked to provide proof of a negative test. Furthermore, the IVFDF committee ensured extra safety by using a sticker system displaying an individual’s comfort with physical proximity. Furthermore, in order to include the accessibility for people isolating or that could not attend the festival in person for any other reasons (for instance one of the committee members was based in Australia), the main dancing sessions were live-streamed.

The most enjoyable aspects throughout the festival, quite easily, involved watching the display dances, particularly Ceilidh. Accompanied by energetic tunes, the Ceilidh dances were utterly elegant and incredible to assist the dancers in their swings and enthusiastic movements. Furthermore, Ceilidh and related dances that featured in the festival such as Contra, for somebody with little to no exposure, learning the basics could be rather daunting, especially considering that the majority of the participants were experienced and clearly attended previous IVFDF editions. And yet those with more experience often took the initiative to help newcomers. Next year’s edition of IVFDF will take place in Exeter and if you missed the one in Sheffield, or even if you simply want to be involved in something new then it is highly recommended to consider participating.

Credit: James Woollen

Also, Sheffield University Morris are keen to emphasise how grateful they are that they were able to include the Dance Social, this was particularly important because it allowed for some diversification of the event’s main focus on British traditional dancing.

Finally, joining societies mainly Sheffield Ceilidh Society and the Sheffield University Morris are excellent opportunities to be involved in folk dancing. Both societies regularly organise events throughout the year, and as the IVFDF proved it , is always lovely when societies actively organise or help with events, ultimately making the student experience more memorable.

HELLDIVERS 2 REVIEW: “I love the dictatorship and fanaticism parody of it all”

Helldivers 2 is one of the funniest games I’ve played, but I must insist you to play it with three or four friends because...

Students use ‘uni lifestyle’ as an excuse for substance and alcohol abuse

In this context, ‘uni life’ mainly refers to the alcohol and drug consumption of the students. The rise of alcohol and substance...

Opinion: Do Reviews even matter?

It is crazy the things that you can review. According to Yelp, people can review anything from prisons and border crossings to national parks...

Sheffield Theatres Sells Off Costumes to the Public

Sheffield Theatres will open their doors to the public, selling off old costume pieces in a bid to raise funds. The items, from past...

SU votes to decolonise university’s language in new policy

The SU council has passed a policy to decolonise language used in the Students’ Union and around the university. The policy aims to change phrasing...

SUPAS reveals Made in Dagenham Cast

The cast for the Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS) musical Made in Dagenham was announced earlier today. Their third production in the 2023/24...

Live Review: Echo and the Bunnymen @ City Hall

It’s fairly undeniable that Sheffield’s atmospheric City Hall provides an excellent setting to step back in time and celebrate Echo and the Bunnymen’s gloomy,...