Nicole Calogero" />

Review: Bloc Party – Alpha Games

One of the joys of discovering new music is stumbling upon those rare albums that truly leave a marvellous impression on the audience. That joy is definitely felt on Alpha Games, English indie-band Bloc Party’s newest album after their six-year-long hiatus.

The first track on the album, Day Drinker, makes for an amazing introduction to Alpha Games. The energetic and almost chaotic melody that is so typical of Bloc Party masks the rather melancholic tone of the lyrics, which can be especially glimpsed in the refrain ‘he says he knows when I’ve been drinking’. Russell Lissack and Kele Okereke beautifully bookend the song with some fantastic guitar-playing, with both lead and rhythm blending with each other perfectly, allowing for Day Drinker to nicely transition into the following track. Overall, the song is clearly destined to never leave your eardrums, easily being one of the stand-out tracks on the album.

Another praiseworthy song on Alpha Games is The Girls are Fighting. Making use of several vocal transitions, combined with a brief choir section and the unmissable touch of electronic beats in the background, the track has a really unique sound. I really have an appreciation for bands that are successfully able to blend several genres together, since it typically produces something far more poetic and experimental than had it been limited to just one style of music. Another fantastic stand-out track on Alpha Games is In Situ. The song is a visceral showcase of human emotions, which can really be seen with the repetitive structure of the song, specifically the line “you need to get your hustle on”.

The final track on the album, The Peace Offering, is an unexpected change of tone for the album. Featuring softer vocals and a calm, almost to the point of unsettling, melody, The Peace Offering comes across almost as a confession to the listener, a private dialogue between frontman Kele Okereke and his audience.

Bloc Party may be one of more well-known indie bands from the NME, ‘indie landfill’ era of the early noughties, but I firmly believe they are still underrated. Alpha Games is a fantastic album which I would highly recommend.

Rating 4/5

AGMs 2024: 2024/25 Committee for Art Society revealed

The Art Society of the University of Sheffield have recently elected their next leading committee, to take over from the current team in their...

AGMs 2024: K-Pop Dance Society announces new members

The University of Sheffield’s KPD (K-Pop Dance) Society has announced its newest committee members, in a social media post yesterday. The AGM, held on...

AGMs 2024: New committee for Creative Writing Society

The Creative Writing Society at the University of Sheffield have unveiled the committee members for the next academic year. Following their April 18th AGM,...

AGMs 2024: USLES elects 2024/25 Committee

The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have revealed the members of their committee for the 2024/25 academic year. Holding their AGM on...

Book Review: Almost Like Being in Love ~ Steve Kluger

Would you travel almost 3000 miles for a childhood sweetheart you haven’t spoken to in twenty years? I probably wouldn’t either, but apparently some...

AGMs 2024: New Editor for Forge Press Arts & Theatre

Forge Press’ Arts & Theatre section editors for the 2024/25 academic year have been revealed, following the newspaper’s AGM. Held on April 18th, the...

USLES Semester 2 Show & First Musical Revealed

The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have revealed their upcoming semester 2 show, putting on their first original musical from the society’s...