Carla Biteanu (she/her)" />

Review: The Stanley Parable : Ultra Deluxe

Crows Crows Crows have brought back the classic office backdrop and sarcastic narration to set the scene for the first-person adventure game, The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe, an updated version of the original 2013 classic. 

I’ll admit when I heard that the Ultra Deluxe version was being released, I was excited, having played The Stanley Parable many years ago and never having quite found another game like it, I was curious to see what the new instalment would bring.

For those of you who haven’t played the original, you are Stanley, otherwise known as Employee 427, an office worker whose job is to push buttons on a keyboard. But everything changes when one day Stanley receives no commands. 

Here is where you embark on the quest to find out what happened to your co-workers. Your only companion is the voice of The Narrator, who attempts to guide you on the journey. 

In essence, The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe is a game about choices .On your quest you can either choose to follow the words of wisdom from the narrator guiding your every move, or ignore them.

Except, each choice you make, it feels as though the game is one step ahead of you. As a player it feels like you’re being welcomed to irritate the narrator and retrace your steps to find as many endings as possible.

Whilst for some, the idea of searching for multiple endings may sound tedious, the gameplay is fun and entertaining, in fact, at some points I genuinely burst out laughing at how absurd some parts of it are.

Without spoiling too much, for those of you who have played The Stanley Parable before and are worried it will be too similar to the original; there are multiple endings purely dedicated to buckets, and if that doesn’t entice you, I don’t know what will.

It almost feels as though The Stanley Parable:Ultra Deluxe scratches the itch I know I’ve had of not wanting to do what a game is telling you to do. I’ll admit that most of the time I get distracted by completing side quests, trying to find one more easter egg or searching for that last stone of Barenziah. 

The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe is self aware, through the narration the game makes observations about gaming, choice  and The Stanley Parable itself, which, when put like that, sounds very meta. I would say it breaks the fourth wall, but it doesn’t feel like the wall is there to begin with. 

Overall The Stanley Parable : Ultra Deluxe is asking you to click on that button one more time, see what is behind that door you didn’t open or walk back into the same room whilst clutching your bucket of reassurance  – it’s a game full of secrets that you want to find. 

4/5 stars. 

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take home futsal 1s bragging rights in thrilling encounter

The futsal 1s fixture was an end-to-end affair which saw the University of Sheffield take home a 4-3 victory thanks to an all-round team...

Local Theatre Review: The Shorts

Original writing, for me, is always the most exciting thing about theatre, especially when such stories are told by local groups in small, intimate...

VARSITY 2024: UoS 1s take home exhilarating korfball victory

The University of Sheffield’s first team took home all three varsity points with a 20-16 win against Sheffield Hallam on Monday 22 April at...

VARSITY 2024: Hallam’s women secure emphatic victory against Uni of swimming team

Sheffield Hallam’s women’s swimming team remained undefeated in all of the races against the University of Sheffield in a morning full of determination and...

VARSITY 2024: Defeat for Uni of as Hallam takes assertive win in men’s swimming

The University of Sheffield showed great ability and resilience at Sheffield swim varsity yesterday morning, although unfortunately, did not come out as winners this...

Opinion: Should characters of particular characteristics only be played by those who reflect them?

Recently, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre has faced criticism for casting Michelle Terry, a non-disabled actor, as Richard III in this summer’s production. Studies of Richard...

Burlesque and DragSoc to perform at Grapefruit’s Big Gay Disco

The University of Sheffield Drag Society (DragSoc) and Steel City Sirens Burlesque coven have been confirmed to be performing at next month’s Grapefruit Presents...