Stranger Things Series 4 Volume 2 – Review

Series 4 Volume 2 of Stranger Things was possibly the most highly anticipated TV release of the year. The 80’s sci-fi series is one of Netflix’s most popular originals, with over 1 billion streams on the most recent instalments. After the rollercoaster that was part 1, I’ve seen a multitude of fan theories surrounding the second part. From everyone dying, to Will being one of the bad guys, I’ve honestly seen it all. 

The hype on social media definitely amplified the excitement for part 2, so much so that Netflix crashed on release day. After four hours on the edge of my seat, and some very intense viewing, did I think part 2 was worth the hype?

Of course I did. Despite some minor blips I thought could have been handled better, overall I both laughed and cried at volume 2. Stranger Things has a kind of magical way of captivating its viewers and sucking them into the world of Hawkins. We’ve watched these characters grow up and develop and it really makes us root for their happiness (most of them anyway.) 

The deaths

One rumour that was going around prior to the release date, was that it was their Game of Thrones esque season and there would be a large death count. So, naturally, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time worried that my favourite characters wouldn’t get their happy ending. Although there weren’t as many deaths as expected, they hit hard.

Eddie Munson’s (Joseph Quinn’s) death scene, despite being slightly predictable, was emotional nonetheless. The Duffer Brothers have this mean habit of introducing us to really likeable characters (especially Bob from season 2), making us fall in love with them and then killing them off. It was bittersweet that Eddie got to have his hero moment and not run away this time but Dustin’s (Gaten Matarazzo’s) reaction to his death was heartbreaking. Also, Vecna (Jamie Campbell Bower) already knew what their plan was, so his death didn’t really make much difference. It would have been more impactful for him to do it to save Dustin, or the others. It was a shame his death was almost a waste.

However, the scene I found to be really powerful was Max’s almost death scene. Sadie Sink and Caleb McLaughlin deserve an Emmy after that performance. From Lucas holding her in the final moments and finally facing up to Jason (Mason Dye), to Max’s cries to Lucas that she doesn’t want to die, it was a real tear-jerker. Max is a fan favourite and I really hope she somehow comes back from this. The whole sequence where we thought everybody would die, leading up to this scene was a stroke of genius. It really showed that the stakes are high and anyone could be Vecna’s next victim.

The relationships and character development

It was really interesting to see the relationships develop in this season, especially since the cast had been split into three locations. Will’s sexuality was explored this season with some hints that he’s in love with Mike, which created some really sad moments. Hopefully we get to see Will (Noah Schnapp) happier in season 5. Joyce and Hopper (Winona Ryder and David Harbour) finally got their kiss which I’m over the moon about, now we just need Steve and Nancy (Joe Keery and Natalia Dyer) to happen again (sorry Johnathon, I’m team Steve.) I’m excited for the dynamics in season 5 when everyone properly reunites and are all together again back in Hawkins.

The storyline 

It’s admirable how all of the questions we had in earlier seasons are finally being answered. Everything is connected in a way I didn’t think possible. The one criticism I have is that the jump from battle to ‘2 days later’ seemed slightly rushed. I wanted to see the in between parts like the others reacting to Eddie’s death and how they all felt about Vecna essentially winning. Although, I did enjoy seeing Robin getting a little bit of happiness and the Hopper and El reunion had everyone crying.

The ending leaves us with so many questions that I can’t wait to be explained in Season 5, the final season, which is looking like it will once again be centred around Will. Is Stranger Things going full circle?

5/5