James Cameron’s re-release of Avatar, once the highest-grossing movie of all time, has just beaten Olivia Wilde’s new psychological thriller, Don’t Worry Darling, (DWD) at the box office. 

I believe that there are several reasons explaining why this might be the case. Some of which come from DWDs own mishaps, ranging from drama within the production and lacklustre story, to the cultural significance and involvement of both movies and their standing within Hollywood.

Wilde’s DWD went through a catastrophic build-up. This mainly regarded claims that Olivia Wilde had fired decorated actor Shia LaBeouf from production—something he firmly denies, adding that he had quit by himself. As well as plenty of personal drama involving herself, Harry Styles, Florence Pugh, and Chris Pine.

This disaster of a promotion, however, seemed to have subsided by the time the movie hit the theatres, although it may have discouraged some people from buying tickets. However it was the quality and nature of the story which, I believe, harmed the potential success of the thriller.

A scroll through IMDB reviews reveals that many viewers find the storytelling to be somewhat flat despite great performances, with DWD often building up suspense that never really pays off and planting plot seeds that never amount to anything.

Similarly, the main theme of the movie, which revolves around the historical gender struggles between men and women, have been reduced by some to mere “Twitter sensibilities” that are in your face throughout the movie. Regardless of whether you agree, disagree or even care about it.

While this line of thought has certainly attracted certain types of audiences, others view it as too simplistic in the way it regards the veracity and accuracy of the critique at the core of the message.

No matter what anyone’s personal political beliefs are, taking a very clear and unsubtle political stance on a hot-button topic will most certainly discourage a large part of the audience.

Meanwhile, the critiques of human nature, climate disaster, and war (during a climate of extreme political and military warfare) that were made in Avatar were much more subtle and cunning, being able to engage all kinds of audiences.

There is also a stark difference between the two movies in terms of how they stand in Hollywood.

DWD is a psychological thriller coming out in an environment that is prone toward big blockbuster franchises that can release new movies every year, a stage where Avatar fits perfectly.

The re-release of Avatar comes at a well-thought-out timing, with the sequel bound to hit theatres by December of this year. Therefore building the hype and proving that the movie’s success was not a one-off event.