Megan Cooke (she/her)" />

Interview: Little Man Tate’s Jon Windle talks to us about their upcoming tour and what the band has been up to

Sheffield indie legends Little Man Tate will be embarking on their first headline tour in 15 years in Spring 2023.

After separating as a band in 2009, the band members have been focusing on spending time with their families and working on their own businesses and interests.

I spoke to Jon Windle, the band’s frontman, about the tour and what the band have been up to while they’ve been away.

What have you been up to while not making music as a band?

I dipped my toe into music management, worked with a couple of bands. RedFaces in particular which we got signed to Sony RCA. Did a bit of promotion and, like I say, a bit of music management and that’s about it really.

How did music management differ from actively making music?

A lot, a lot. I don’t envy the people on the other side. Looking after a band and sorting all the day to day and everything. Obviously people think it seems all glitz and glamour for the band, but there’s so much that goes on in the background to build up to gigs and tours and networking and everything else. I much prefer being on this side, getting ferried about and looked after.

So what was it that made you decide to stop making music together in the first place?

It was a funny one. We kinda felt like we were always chasing something. Always trying to get to the next level, always trying to get Radio 1, always trying to get front cover of the NME at the time. It just felt like we were chasing everything and just not getting to that next level. We thought, rather than going backwards and fizzling out like some bands do, we’d kinda go out with a bang. Looking back on it now what we really should have done is just appreciate where we were then, y’know. We weren’t going to be the biggest band in the world. We should have just appreciated what we had and carried on enjoying it.

Do you think you’re better off for having had that break?

Yes. We’re much better. We’re a much better band. Obviously we’ve matured but back in the day we were a bit hectic, kind of like, maybe not taking it as seriously as we should do. Maybe drinking too much before gigs. It was a bit shambolic. But this time round we’ve grown up. We appreciate that we have to put on a performance every time we play and just enjoy the moment while it lasts and enjoy the people enjoying us kinda thing.

How do you think the indie music scene has changed since 2011?

It’s strange because, what we’ve noticed in the gigs lately is that there’s so many younger people. We’ve got people in the gigs now whose parents were into Little Man Tate at the time. There’s not as many bands around as there was back then, but I think the ones that are still about are the ones people want to see, or wanted to see, back. I’m hoping we’re one of those and we’ll not outstay our welcome and, when people have had enough of us, we’ll disappear again, but right now we’re just gonna enjoy it while we’re here.

What was it in 2020 that made you want to start making music as a band again?

We couldn’t have picked a worse time really, could we? We’d had offers before but it never felt right. Then at the start of 2020, we got offered to play these Sheffield shows and everyone was in agreement that it felt like the right time and we were all in the right headspace to give it a crack.

Were you expecting such a huge response to those Sheffield comeback shows?

We weren’t – we thought it would do what most gigs do and trickle up slowly but we really realised what we meant to people. We were buzzing but gobsmacked to be honest. We really didn’t expect it.

What was it like performing in Sheffield again?

Unbelievable – I have never been as nervous in my whole life. Because of the build up it’s like oh my God it’s finally happening – we’re getting back on stage. I can hardly remember any of it because it flew past so quick.

What have you missed most about touring?

I’ve not missed being in a van travelling round and what have you. It’s the camaraderie, spending time with your pals and having a laugh. This time we’ve said lets just enjoy it, there’s no pressure and we’re not trying to prove anything. I obviously missed the band, the boys in the band and the crew – it’s a really good environment to be in and it’s like a night out with your pals.

It’s been two years since Boy in the Anorak came out. Do you have any new music in the works?

We’re working on a new album. We’re recording that at the minute but the plan with the tour is that we’ll dip the odd new song in but we won’t be touring the whole new album. There’s nothing worse than going to see a band that you want to see and hear all the songs and you just get bombarded with a bunch of self-indulgent new music. The bulk of it will be the nostalgia stuff on the first two albums.

Little Man Tate will be performing in Sheffield on 5 May 2023, with other shows scheduled across the UK in cities such as Manchester, Birmingham, London, and Liverpool.

Tickets are available now.

SUPAS Review: Made in Dagenham

We've all become accustomed to industrial action in all sectors of our society, many striking for better pay. But what happens when that pay...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield take triumphant victory for 10th year running

Several weeks of sporting excellence culminated in a spectacular Varsity win for the University of Sheffield. This marks a decade of victories for the black...

VARSITY 2024: Narrow win for Hallam basketball men’s 1s in finale

Hallam basketball men’s 1s team won a thriller against the University of Sheffield on Wednesday 24 April at the Canon Medical Arena, taking victory...

VARSITY 2024: Sheffield women’s basketball crush Hallam by double digits

A brilliant comeback saw the University of Sheffield emphatically defeat Sheffield Hallam University on the final day of Varsity. Despite Hallam taking an early lead,...

Grammy-Nominees announced for Migration Matters Festival

The line-up for this year’s Migration Matters Festival has been unveiled, with a range of artists, professionals, youth groups and others taking part to...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of find glory in futsal 2s fixture

A sizeable crowd gathered at the English Institute of Sport to watch the Steel City’s two university futsal teams lock horns on the day...

SUTCo reveals Show Proposal dates & EGM

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have begun preparations for their first semester productions in 2024/25, launching proposal applications for prospective production teams. The...