megan, " />

A look into the Sheffield LGBTQ+ sporting scene

Inclusion within sport for the LGBT community is often lacking, with Stonewall statistics stating that only 43% of sport fans think live sport events are welcoming for LGBTQ+ fans.

Sheffield is home to a number of LGBTQ+ sports teams and groups which aim to bring people from the community together and create a supportive and welcoming environment.

Sheffield Vulcans

Sheffield Vulcans RUFC is an inclusive rugby club which was set up as a part of the IGR’s Spirit of Rugby Campaign.

Their website states: “Our main aim is provide a safe place for anyone from the LGBTQIA+ community and for anyone in general to participate in sports without worry of prejudice.”

The Rugby club’s Tuesday sessions are open to anyone of any sexuality, size or experience – making them a hub for rugby enthusiasts of any background to get into active participation.

Rainbow Laces

Rainbow Laces is a subsection of the Rainbow Blades group which runs football tournaments to promote inclusion in sport for members of the LGBT community.

The idea of rainbow laces stems from a Stonewall campaign in which allies of the LGBT community were encouraged to wear rainbow shoelaces to help build a sense of inclusion in sport.

The campaign, which is backed by the Premier League for two matchweeks per season, has extended to all levels of English football, as an indication of the sport’s willingness to tackle homophobia.

TransActive

TransActive is a group which aims to help the transgender community in and around Sheffield to socialise and get involved in sports and fitness activities in a relaxed and friendly environment.

The group currently runs weekly swimming sessions at Heeley Pool as well as other activities such as climbing, cycling and yoga.

Anyone who identifies as trans or non-binary, including people who are questioning their gender identity, are invited to join in the fun.

Fri-Gay at the Climbing Hangar Sheffield

Sheffield is a huge hub for rock climbing, making it a must try sport while living in the Steel city.

If you are looking to get involved in rock climbing, The Climbing Hangar hosts a weekly LGBT night.

Fri-Gay runs every Friday from 6:30pm – 9:00pm and provides a social space for casual coaching and group projecting.

The evening is open to anyone who identifies as a part of the LGBTQ+ community, their friends and allies.

As you can tell, there are loads of LGBTQ+ sporting institutions across the steel city for students to get involve with, so throw yourselves in and see for yourselves.

Review: Drop 7 – Little Simz

Returning last month, London-based, Mercury prize-winning Little Simz returns in style with her new EP Drop 7. With dance influences and electronic beats throughout,...

Review: Vultures 1 – Kanye West & Ty Dolla $ign

Kanye West, now known as Ye, has had a difficult few years since the release of the highly anticipated Donda project, his first of...

Isn’t it about time our SU was a bit cheaper?

We have the best Students’ Union in the country. The awards prove it. But should it cost students this much to use...

The Time Warp Again: Rocky Horror Charity Show Returns for 2024

The annual charity screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show is set to return for 2024. The screening, which usually takes place in November,...

Tekken 8 Review: Simply the best fighting game out right now

Within the seemingly endless stream of fighting games that have released in the last few years… none can match the magnitude of Tekken, and...

Hallam issue over 100 redundancy notices to academic staff as financial woes continue

Sheffield Hallam University has issued over 120 “risk of redundancy” letters to academic staff amid ongoing financial difficulties for the institution.

Anyone But You: “Romcoms are well and truly back, with this masterful rendition of a Shakespearean tale.”-Review

Anyone But You is a breath of fresh air in the romantic comedy genre, reinvigorating our love for love on the big screen. The...