Jack Trethewey" />

Staying in Sheffield – Why do so many graduates choose to remain in the steel city?

It’s been revealed that in 2021, The University of Sheffield had a 40% student retention rate after graduation. A retention rate shows how many students choose to stay in their university city or town after they graduate. For me, this is an unsurprising statistic as I also decided to continue studying at the university, after completing my Bachelors degree. In hindsight, it was the easiest decision of my life. 

When I finished my degree in July 2021, the UK was finally emerging from its last lockdown and we were starting to remember what normality felt like. In April of that year, hairdressers, libraries and museums reopened; in May, up to 30 people were allowed to mix outdoors. Pubs, restaurants and cinemas welcomed us again with open arms. When July 2021 came, nightclubs were allowed to re-open and it more or less felt like normal life had resumed. I remember the excitement I felt going on my first proper night out for what felt like decades. The summer of 2021 really did feel that little bit sweeter; yet, I felt a remorseful pang in my chest. That past year had been hard. Studying in my bedroom for hours on end in my final year had been mind-numbingly boring and I had started to notice all of my housemates’ little foibles and quirks. At first, they seemed endearing, but after several months of forced imprisonment, they had become almost unbearable. 

I felt… cheated. University was supposed to be the most exciting and sociable experience of my life and I could not believe that a third of it had been spent doing puzzles, baking bread and listening to audiobooks in lockdown. So first and foremost, I returned to Sheffield for further study to claim what was rightfully mine – an exciting, sociable and fun re-do of my final year. I had rewound the clock and this time, I was ready.

I could have studied for my masters anywhere. But for me, it had to be the steel city. I’ve been lucky enough to live in many different parts of the world, but Sheffield has been the only place that felt like ‘home’. Why this is the case, I’m not entirely sure. I think it’s a unique combination of distinct features about the university, city and county that make it one of the most incredible places to live in. Let me explain with a couple of examples…

It’s nearly impossible to talk about Sheffield without somebody blurting out that it has the highest ratio of trees to people of any European city. Yes, it’s a nice little factoid that will come in handy years from now in a pub quiz. But how does it actually translate to real life? For me, Sheffield’s green credentials are best expressed in its parks, and boy oh boy, do you have a lot to choose from. In the city alone, you can visit Concord Park, Crookes Valley Park, Firth Park, Endcliffe Park, Weston Park, Sheffield Botanical Gardens, Bole Hill and Rivelin Valley Park; just to name a few. My personal favourite is Crookes Valley Park. It’s an excellent place to hang out in the summer and a popular spot for BBQs. The flowering cherry blossom is a spectacular site to behold. It’s not Sheffield’s most impressive park, but it’s a reliable staple in any student’s daily routine as hundreds of students flock past it in their daily commute into the university. For me, walking past those ever-present cherry blossom trees is like saying hello to a reliable friend.

I do consider myself a bit of a coffee connoisseur and when it comes to cafes, Sheffield does not disappoint. Head into the city centre and it’ll be hard to decide which artisan coffee shop to try first. Perhaps you want a cosy and quaint atmosphere, in which case you’ll want to sample the coffee at Steam Yard. Maybe you want a bit more space for a lengthy study session, in which case 200° is your best bet. But, if you find yourself in the Broomhill area, it’s best to stop by Năm Sông for a delicious cup of joe in a more relaxed atmosphere with a special Vietnamese twist.

Jacob Whittle, 24, is a 2021 graduate from the University of Sheffield with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He knew he wanted to stay in Sheffield and immediately began an EngD in Sustainable Railway Infrastructure within the University’s Rail Innovation and Technical Centre. He said: “I stayed at the University because of the state of the art facilities which are available, as well as the opportunity to work with world leading researchers across multiple disciplines. Alongside that, Sheffield is one of the only British cities which has both a lively city centre and access to the Peak District right from your doorstep – something I didn’t want to leave behind.”

There’s no doubt that Sheffield is a special place to study. I could easily drone on for hours about why I love this city. I could talk about the infamously-friendly locals or the fact the peak district is on your doorstep. I could talk about the legendary nights out on offer which are bound to suit every taste. I could even talk about the city’s industrial heritage of steel forging and manufacturing that makes me proud to call myself an honorary northerner.  But when it comes down to it, the reason I’m still here, six years after first discovering this place, is simple. It’s a beautiful city that has so much to offer to everyone from all walks of life. 

Thanks for being my home Sheffield, I appreciate you more than you know.

Commons Catch-Up April 18th: An Editor’s Opinion

Marking the first such session since Parliament’s return from the Easter Recess, Thursday April 18th saw ministers from the Department of Culture, Media &...

Building health systems resilience in armed conflict: The imperative for SheffWHO 2024

The world is witnessing a worrying resurgence and intensification of armed conflicts, leading to massive humanitarian crises and unprecedented strain on healthcare systems. In...

Live Review: Cassyette @ The Leadmill

To understand what to expect from Cassyette’s ‘This World F***ing Sucks’ tour, you can look no further than her history. Having performed with behemoths...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of clinically dispatch Hallam in Men’s 1s football clash

The University of Sheffield survived a brief Sheffield Hallam fightback to secure victory over their near neighbours, thanks to their first-half display. Both sides had beaten...

Reading for Diversity’s First Gen Voices Reading Group Announced

The Book Society and the University of Sheffield Library have invited students to participate in their First Gen Voices Reading Group, the latest event...

SUTCo Opens Show Proposals for 2024/25 Semester 1

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have opened applications for show proposals for the first semester back in September. The biannual process, taking place...

VARSITY 2024: Hallam beats Uni of in showstopping rugby league fixture

Sheffield Hallam secured a staggering 40-6 victory against the University of Sheffield after a match filled with changeable weather and passionate play. Seven minutes into...