Megan Cooke (she/her)" />

Hogwarts Legacy: “A game I wish had been made 10 years ago”

Hogwarts Legacy is a game I wish had been made 10 years ago. Set in the late 1800s, the game lets you fully immerse yourself in the wizarding world: you can go and buy potions ingredients in Hogsmeade, fly to quaint villages on your broom and explore the secrets of Hogwarts castle.

I was immediately drawn to the game and pre-ordered it as thinking about playing it made me excited in a way that not many games have in recent years. Just the thought and anticipation of loading it up and seeing what the wizarding world had to offer me was enough to justify the £60 price tag. It is nostalgic while making the best use of today’s modern technology. It is full of magic and mystery and dark secrets.

Of course, it would be wrong of me to discuss this game without referring to the creator of its  universe, JK Rowling, and the things she has said and done in recent years. The writer has been accused of transphobia regarding comments she has made about the transgender community, leading to some players choosing to boycott the release of Hogwarts Legacy. Whilst JK Rowling was not involved in the creation of the game, the use of her IP means she will still profit from the game, through receiving royalties. 

In the game, you play as a witch or wizard who has the rare ability to see and control traces of a forgotten ancient magic. Amidst a goblin rebellion, you enrol at Hogwarts as a fifth year student to make friends and learn magic from some of the best magical teachers, some with familiar names.

The worldbuilding is absolutely one of the highlights of the game. From the moment you step into the halls of Hogwarts it’s clear the developers haven’t missed a single detail. Thanks to the open-world nature, you can walk through iconic scenes from the books, following landmarks along the way, to uncover the magic of the castle for yourself. 

There is a point to be made that, if you aren’t a Harry Potter fan or if you have never read and enjoyed the books or movies, you might not get as much out of the game as those who have. Whilst it is graphically beautiful and the story is gripping enough, there is an element of fun that stems from exploring a universe that you previously only got to see through the eyes of the book’s characters. 

Before Hogwarts Legacy officially launched my dad, who had early access, sent me a text that really sums up why I love the game so much: “I wish Hogwarts Legacy had been released when you were younger. I would have loved playing this with you. It’s as close to being at Hogwarts as you’ll come.”

Rating: 5/5

AGMs 2024: SUTCo Announce 2024/25 Committee Members

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have elected members to their 2024/25 committee, following their annual AGM. Held on April 15th for Senior Committee...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield clinch nail-biting victory in rugby 2s showdown

The University of Sheffield continued their impressive Men’s Rugby Union 2s recent Varsity record, coming out 21-19 victors in a closer-than-expected Varsity thriller at...

VARSITY 2024: Hallam narrowly lose out in close-fought women’s rugby tie

In a clash of grit and determination, the Women's Rugby Union 1st teams from the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University squared off...

VARSITY 2024: University of Sheffield continue winning streak in men’s rugby union (1st XV)

With today’s victory, Uni Of has now won Men’s Rugby (1st XV) eight years in a row. Despite challenging weather and a second-half red...

VARSITY 2024: Uni of take women’s hockey victory for second year running

The University of Sheffield women’s first team celebrated a victory against Sheffield Hallam 1s at their home pitch on Tuesday 16 April. Led by...

LGBTQ+ Committee condemns recent Trans+ Cass Report findings

The LGBTQ+ Representative Committee has released a statement condemning The Cass Report, a landmark review of Trans+ healthcare provision in the UK. The final report,...

Sheffield Museums Exhibition Review: Ways of Water

Ways of Water by Helena Hunter and Mark Peter Wright certainly holds more challenging art in terms of concept, history, and artistic mediums. This...