Students campaign to win rights for refugees

A group of students are embarking on a new, city-wide campaign to win greater rights for asylum seekers living in Sheffield.

They are split into two teams both fighting for different measures to be taken; the Lift The Ban and Free Travel Passes action groups. The former lobbying for asylum seekers to be allowed to work whilst their claims are processed and the latter for subsidised transport. 

Organised in partnership with local charity City of Sanctuary, the project is part of the Student Union’s ‘ChangeLab’ scheme, which provides students with the opportunity to lead community campaigns.  

Set to begin in January, they’ve spent the Autumn term organising and devising strategy.  

Maddie, a second-year History student, and Maeve, a first-year sociology student, are leading the Free Travel Passes group, and have a programme of post-exam-season events lined up to raise awareness for their cause – anything from petitions and marches to giveaways and bake sales.

Maddie initially doubted whether cheaper transport was “really what these communities need”, but talking to refugees themselves converted her:

“There was a lady whose three children were all put in separate schools in three different corners of Sheffield. Often she had to choose between feeding them and sending them to school. 

Something as simple as free travel passes would mean this life and death situation, between schooling and feeding, wouldn’t have happened.”

Maeve believes part of their role is to challenge assumptions about this community.

She said: “I think many people have the misconception of refugees as drains on the state. However, they are forced into this position because they are not allowed to work whilst they haven’t got official status. 

“Part of what we’re working on is raising awareness of the reality of the situation for these people.”

Leading the Lift the Ban group, Liticia, a fourth year economics and Spanish student and Sofiya, in her third year of law, are preparing for a region-wide lobbying campaign.

Their focus will be on interacting with local business, faith groups and the City’s influential figures; attempting to actively engage them in the campaign.

Liticia’s drive comes from personal experience, being, herself, an immigrant from northern Italy. 

She notes how difficult it can be, even without the financial and legal pressures faced by asylum seekers.

“I came to the UK six years ago and we struggled with integration, so I can relate to what asylum seekers and refugees are going through.”

She identifies overcoming “the language barrier and cultural differences” as major obstacles in settling in. 

She’d studied English in Italy, but still found “the accents, and how people speak” difficult. 

It was especially hard as an “introvert” to become fluent. 

Sofya, whose parents both immigrated to Britain – her mother and father from Zambia and Barbados respectively – is similarly motivated:

“Growing up I witnessed my family and community going through similar struggles [to refugees]. Coming to the UK as a migrant and dealing with the legal, political and general stigma from people outside our community.

“Seeing my people being consistently marginalised and always having to take ten more steps to get to where their peers are.”

Anna Campbell, the SU’s Activities and Development Officer, praises the scheme:

“ChangeLab is an amazing opportunity for students to volunteer on projects that drive social change.

It’s a great way for students to develop skills in outreach, community development and also to network and broaden their understanding of challenges facing their local community.”

The ‘City of Sanctuary’ charity’s offices are located along Chapel Walk in the City Centre, just off of Norfolk Street.

Image Credits: The Big Issue

Phillip Pullman: On the Art of Storytelling

A talk from the famed writer & the powerful words he had for his excited audience

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show