Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for different degree subjects designed to help you make new friends on your course, but we’ve put together a list highlighting some science- and tech-related societies that you might not have heard of before. So, whether it’s your first year at university or you’re a seasoned student looking for something new, these groups might ignite a passion, introduce you to new friends, and help you dive into the world of science and tech – whether you’re a STEM student or not!

Microscopy society

A new society for the 2024/25 academic year, microscopy society wants to share their passion for using microscopes to learn about the world around us. They started planning early this year and in early summer were given a room in Firth Court to use. We spoke with them to find out more about what events they have planned for this year; here’s what they had to say:

“We’ve been working with the Light Microscopy Facility (LMF) to begin running workshops to introduce undergrads to more advanced microscopy techniques using fluorescence, brightfield and stereo microscopes. 

“We’re also working with the LMF and the electron microscopy facility to organise tours of facilities and talks with experts. We’re planning to run workshops with other societies and student clubs to use the equipment we have in our room to explore science beyond the current curriculum too!”

Roboteer’s society

United by an enthusiasm for robotics, Roboteer’s society meet regularly to discuss robotics and to build and fight robots! They hold fight nights throughout the academic year, with their combat robots adhering to the Antweight World Series Rules. CAD sessions are also to help you develop skills to design robots digitally. No experience is necessary, the team are there to help you get stuck in building robots!

Sheffield Space initiative society

Think space is pretty cool? Sheffield Space Initiative society is made up of students from across many different disciplines who are interested in space, technology, and engineering. Through this society you can be supported entering national space and engineering competitions. They also hold guest lectures from industry experts and workshops throughout the year, along with a tailored training programme to build the skills needed to compete.

Women in Engineering society

Running since 2012, Women in Engineering Society aims to help women in engineering excel in industry. They put on a wide variety of talks and workshops, as well as a mentoring programme – and of course a variety of different social events. Previous workshops have included Python, LinkedIn, and engineering-specific CV writing. They also invite people working in industry to give talks. You can even get involved with their series of stories for children called Suzie and Ricky!

Dinosaur society

Have a passion for palaeontology? Give Dino Soc a try! Bringing together all students sharing a love of dinosaurs, they have a wide variety of events planned for this year. Test your knowledge at dinosaur quizzes and embark on trips to local museums and archaeological sites. They’ll also be doing movie nights, competitions, bar crawls and more. Whatever your taste, if you have a love of dinosaurs there’ll be an event for you!

Look out over the next few weeks for any taster sessions coming up (GIAGs), and to learn more about these societies and many more, check out the SU website to find their Instagram pages!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...

A Guide to Sheffield’s Best Book Shops

From charity shops to small businesses, find some new treasures in & around Sheffield!

Popular SU food outlet closed until 2026: what are your options now?

With the interval being closed until January 2026, what else is there?

Firth Park Makers Market: Discover a new area of Sheffield

Discover a new area of Sheffield by attending the Makers Market in Firth Park

Sheffield cat cafe set to reopen after closure

Tabby Teas cat cafe plans for reopening after being closed due to cat flu case

Universities UK group calls for increased tuition fees

Group calls for increase in tuition fees to match rising inflation levels