Review: The Full Monty at The Lyceum Theatre

Simon Beaufoy’s The Full Monty brilliantly captures the essence of the original Full Monty film, bringing a new dimension via the stage-show that electrifies this slapstick comedy. The original film may be over 20 years old and yet Beaufoy maintains the heart-warming characters that led to the critical acclaim.
What the production of The Full Monty does so well is tell an array of stories in one short piece. In comedies, it is often easy to lose sight of characters’ individuality and for some to stand out more than others. However, in this production, you really get to know each character, with each one having their own comedic strong point. Whether it be Lomper’s (Joe Gill) tragic persona, Gerald’s (Andrew Dunn) farcical snobbery, or Guy’s (James Redmond) unfounded level of confidence; every character is memorable and unique in their own right.

One problem that the play encounters within its character development is the “accents” of its lead character. Gaz (Gary Lucy) is supposed to represent a typical, Northern Yorkshire lad but his accent blows his cover, ranging from sounding Irish, to Mancunian, to something from Only Fools and Horses. Nevertheless, Lucy compensates for this through great comedic timing.

Another strong element of the play is its multidimensional nature. Whilst it is explicitly a comedy, the show also alludes to the darker undertones facing cities like Sheffield after the pits closed. The fragile masculinity that many steelworkers faced in their lives is brilliantly executed in the comedy, with characters like Dave (Kai Owen) showing the embarrassment men felt as their wives became the main bread-winners.
The format of the play also lends itself excellently for theatre. Being live, it really brings to life the various moments in the comedy, in particular the last scene – the strip show! The audience is encouraged to cheer and scream (and with over 1,000 drunk middle-aged  women, you can bet they screamed!). This electrifies the last scene and makes for a real celebratory end to the play.
Overall, this is a brilliant play. There is a real recognition of Sheffield’s history and a true celebration of the original Full Monty film. Every character is hilarious, extremely talented and fits together perfectly. What the play lacks in clothes, it makes up for in comedy. So, forget comedy gold, this was comedy steel!
5 Stars.
Image Credits: Sheffield Theatres

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Andrew Cowell – SDP

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield's candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote. With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Sam Chapman, Rejoin EU

Find out the main aim of the Rejoin EU party from Sheffield Hallam candidate Samuel Chapman, and how he will support students.

Sheffield Hallam/Central Candidate Spotlights: Workers Party of Britain

The Workers Party of Britain candidates (Caitlin Hardy in Sheffield Central, and Mo Moui-Tabrizy in Sheffield Hallam) weren’t able to arrange an interview, but...