Review: 13 Reasons Why – Season 3

13 Reasons Why has returned to Netflix – the show well-known for its controversial depiction on teenage suicide is back for a third season. Following Season 2, each episode begins with a cast member explaining the series is not for everyone, since it deals with serious issues and potential triggers. After a disappointing trial on the monstrous jock Bryce Walker, Tyler’s brutal assault and an attempted school shooting; our eclectic bunch of friends brought together by unfortunate circumstances, return to Liberty High for yet another year of school. However, they are struck by news of the death of Bryce, and alas a murder mystery is ignited. Switching between the present and two past narratives, the show’s timeline is fragmented and gradually reveals the season’s brandished question of ‘Who killed Bryce Walker?’.
There’s a new character,and narrator, on the block in the form of Ani Achola (Grace Saif), a British transfer student whose mother just happens to be Bryce’s grandfather’s new nurse. Ani takes over Hannah’s spot of narrating, a choice which has divided viewers, to the point where the actor has disabled her Instagram. The series starts off with Ani being questioned by Alex’s father, Deputy Standall, and the stories unfold from there. Ani’s characterisation is not perfect, but there are a number of reasons why the character has been met with controversy.
Ani magically becomes the second-in-command to Clay as keeper of secrets, even though she has missed two seasons worth of information. Throughout the season she learns more about Bryce Walker, including his dastardly crimes, and she somehow  still lives with him. To an extent, Ani’s onlooker approach develops a dimension to Bryce not familiar to viewers. However, it does seem clunky that the first person she meets at Liberty High is Clay (whose relationship later consists of several plot holes) and also befriends Jessica –  helping her with the sexual assault survivors club. All this whilst living under and getting to know Bryce, who raped both Jessica and Hannah in Season 1.
The fragmented narrative structure brings an element of complexity to the show and builds the suspense around Bryce’s death. The interchanging past narratives can be easily identified through the changing screen sizes. When we look back on the past narrative told by Ani, the colours are dreary and cold, whereas when characters within Ani’s commentary recall their own pasts, the screen opens up and colours are warmer as if their eyes are opening up.
Above all then what made this season contemplative to view was the number of questions to ask. Themes such as sexuality, ownership, trauma and masculinity are addressed constantly throughout each episode, where a number of characters get a light shone on how these issues differently affect them.For example, with the epitome of toxic masculinity, Bryce Walker. Whilst there is no pardoning for what Bryce has done, the series does attempt to alternate our understanding of what his story is. Sexual assault recovery is addressed sensitively with characters such as Tyler and Jessica. Accountability is the central theme to Season 3, the idea of owning up to what is done is explored and accepting that not all apologies deserve the chance to be entirely accepted. Overall the main reason of the season’s downfall is the number of unanswered plot-holes and shaky narrative.
3 stars
Image Credit: Movie DB

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history

Comedy Review: Myra Dubois ~ Be Well

Eccentric & fabulous, Myra Dubois' comedy stand-up show is brilliantly comedic gold

Touring Production Review: Heathers

University's begun & it's back to school at Westerberg High, for a high-energy, killer performance