Feature: Gaming-themed places to go in Sheffield

So, you’ve made it to Sheffield, your exciting new home for the next few years. But, you might be wondering, is there anywhere to go around here that matches my interests, such as gaming? Well, faithful reader, whether you were thinking that or not I’m here to answer the question! Yes, there are plenty of gaming themed places to go in Sheffield! But that’s not the end of the article. Below is a list of just a few of the best places to go to game in this city.

PokéSoc 

The University’s very own Pokémon Society is one of the very best places to go to hang out with like-minded fans of Pokémon and other games too! Everyone there is very friendly and will make sure that everyone feels happy and included, in whatever things might be going on. 
As well as Pokémon, people play a variety of things there, including Mario Kart and Smash Bros, as well as some board games too! There are a number of competitive Smash Bros players there who are always up for some games, and everyone is welcome to join in for fun on the big projector screen, where you’ll often find a lot of people playing together at once!
Throughout the year there are plenty of fun things going on, including Pokémon quizzes, movie nights, Pokémon Go walks, and the famed 24 hour event. There’s always going to be something you’ll enjoy!
Socials take place in the Students’ Union’s Gallery area every Friday from 5pm-8:30pm, and you can also order delicious pizza on the night which I definitely recommend! 
You can start getting involved by joining their public Facebook group: “PokeSoc at Sheffield Students’ Union”.

Firepit Rocks

Firepit Rocks is a groovy dive bar located on West Street, that not only sells great food (including unlimited chicken wings and fries on Wednesdays!) but is also home to a number of gaming booths which you can sit at with your food. Whether you fancy some Mario Kart, Fifa, Tekken, or many more, you can play whatever you like for free (as long as you’ve got some food or a drink that is). 
As long as there’s space, you don’t have to book, but the booths are bookable if you really want to make sure you get a place. There’s also a number of classic arcade machines that you can play for free including hits like Street Fighter
They also occasionally host different gaming tournaments and quizzes, and you can enjoy live music from up and coming bands on their Jam Nights. 
This is the perfect place to go with friends for a fun night with some good food, and you can stay as long as you like too. Check out their Facebook page to see their menu and any upcoming events: @FirePitRocks.

Meltdown

Meltdown is Sheffield’s first e-sports bar, and is a must-visit for those who like to watch or be involved in competitive gaming. They host weekly tournaments (with prizes!) which are free to enter as long as you buy a drink. These include League of Legends, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and Overwatch, but they also host plenty of other things like quizzes and after parties for various events, so there’s something for everyone!
They even serve special themed drinks and cocktails for their events; fancy trying a Yoshi Bomb, or some Lon Lon Milk? You’ve come to the right place!
It’s definitely worth checking out, and if you’re interested you can see the dates for all their upcoming tournaments and events on their Facebook page: @MeltdownSheffield.

Treehouse Board Game Cafe

It might not exactly be video game related, but hey, this is the “games” section so I couldn’t not mention this place! The Treehouse is Sheffield’s very first board game cafe, and is home to over 500 different board games. 
It’s £2.50 for a two hour session, but if you bring your student card with you, you can play for free, for as long as you like, on weekdays before 7pm, which is a deal you simply can’t miss out on!
Whether you’re a board game fanatic or you’ve just played a bit of Scrabble at your grandma’s before, there really is something for everyone. You can pore over their board game menus that can help you decide what to play, based on how long they take to play, what kind of game they are, and how many players they accommodate. 
All the games on the shelves are also labelled with their general difficulty level, so that you don’t accidentally get yourself into something too complicated, or not challenging enough depending on your skill level (though the staff are always willing to help out if you want to try something that’s a bit trickier than you’re used to!)
They also sell lovely food platters and cakes, as well as a wide selection of different teas to keep you fuelled through your playing sessions.
Be sure to check out their Facebook page for their menus and upcoming events: @treehousesheffield.

National Videogame Museum

Whilst you’re in Sheffield, you have to check out the National Videogame Museum that resides in the city centre. It’s very interactive, which yes, means you can play the different games exhibited there; there’s around one hundred to check out. Not only that but you can have a mess around with the “creation stations” to try making your own games.
It’s definitely worth a visit; not all museums are boring!
It’s open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and tickets cost £8.50 for students if you book online on their website: thenvm.org
On their website is also a list of all the games currently being exhibited, so take a look at that if you’re not sure whether you’d be interested or not!

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...