Review: Untitled Goose Game

Untitled Goose Game is the type of explorative, laid-back game that you need to wind down and relax at the end of the day. You play as a rambunctious goose and explore a variety of town and garden settings while playing pranks on the villagers. I downloaded the game because of its random and quirky concept, but while I was playing, the main thing that struck me was how soothing it was.
Upon starting the game, I was pleasantly surprised by the music. It has a playful piano medley that flows and grows louder whenever your goose is being mischievous or if you are in danger of being discovered. There’s just enough tension in the quests to motivate you to complete them, yet it doesn’t add to the stresses and anxieties of everyday life.
I wouldn’t call myself a gamer. I don’t play games regularly because I have genuinely awkward thumbs and I’m not very good at them. There is also the ever-present crushing guilt about not studying!
With this game, all the quests are nonsensical and aren’t timed or graded. It really allows you to fall into a world where you’re just a goose with an odd list of shenanigans to do. I get so much joy out of honking at people and stealing their belongings (only in-game, of course).
At its core, I believe this game is testament to the fact that we don’t need huge, multi-layered games full of detailed assets and characters. Just because the technology is there to 3D-model entire continents doesn’t mean we have to. I have enjoyed playing as a 2D goose more than games with much more time and funding behind them. It’s hard to believe it was made by just four guys as a joke!
I would certainly recommend this game to any casual players who just want to embrace the power fantasy of being a cheeky goose on the warpath. It’s easy to pick up for beginners and children too. I hope you enjoy causing chaos in this sandbox-style game. PEACE IS NOT AN OPTION.

Ways to make the most of the sun this summer

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...