Review: Ten Times Table at The Lyceum

Alan Ayckbourn’s Ten Times Table centres on the inner politics of a committee tasked with organising a pageant in their local town. The seemingly mundane meetings soon fall into chaos as Marxist teacher, Eric Collins (Craig Gazey), clashes with the committee chair’s more conservative wife, Helen Dixon (Deborah Grant). Eventually, the pageant turns into an all-out disaster.  
The performances were good but fell into clichéd stereotypes, possibly due to the nature of how they were written. The play’s principal character, committee chair Ray Dixon (Robert Daws), attempts to get the other characters on side, with little success. This resulted in Daws’ performance mirroring that of the Speaker of the House of Commons, becoming very ‘Bercow-esque’. 
The play’s best performances, however, are given by Gazey and Grant, comedically embodying a stereotypical Marxist and Conservative. Gazey’s performance as the over principled Marxist is everything that a Conservative would hate, helping to fuel his clashes with Mrs Dixon. The same can be said about Grant’s performance. 
The other major stereotypes within the play were Mark Curry’s Donald Evans and Robert Duncan’s Laurence Adamson, playing the town’s ‘busybody’ and the depressive drunk, respectively. While both performances captured the role, it was nothing to write home about. 
Initially, the set seemed nothing special, and somewhat underwhelming. However, this greatly played into the fact that the meetings were taking place in the not-so-grand, ‘grand’ ballroom of the local hotel. 
A similar comment can be made about the costumes; they were nothing special. However, this helped to add to the fact that the play is centred on the mundane and is about normal people. While the pageant costumes aired on the side of being reminiscent of an amateur production, it again suited the subject matter of the play. 
The only major criticism of the play would be of Robin Herford’s direction, as I found that having one member of the cast with their back to the audience to be somewhat annoying and blocked the person directly opposite. This may not have been the case if you were situated in the circle or balcony but was nevertheless an annoyance to those in the stalls. 
Ultimately, Ayckbourn’s Ten Times Table is a pleasantly entertaining and humorous night out. However, would it be something I tell all my friends to go and see? No. 
Three Stars.
Featured Image: Pamela Raith

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...