Sheffield Students' Union issue statement in support of striking lecturers

Sheffield Students’ Union has issued a statement following the vote of SU Council to support striking lecturers.
The Officer team, who make up the Student Executive Committee, proposed a motion to the first meeting of Council this academic year, which pledged to actively support the University and College Union members striking across campus, while also prioritising student welfare.
These campaigns will be led by Education Officer Charlie Porter and Welfare Officer Beren Maddison respectively.

A statement from the SU said: “We’re disappointed that a resolution couldn’t be made before strike action was required, and as a Students’ Union we are in a complicated position.
“The Students’ Union will continue to represent student interests in negotiations between UCU and the University, and keep students regularly and properly informed during the industrial action.
“We have committed to ensuring the SU building remains a welcoming place for students to gather and study with friends, in a calm space where everybody feels valued. SU outlets and services will be running business as usual. In addition, Levels 2 and 3 will be dedicated to student support and welfare, and level 4 will host strike support activity.
“We’ll keep students informed and up to date as these strands of activity develop ahead of 25 November.”
Read more: Sheffield lecturers to go on strike in less than three weeks
The University of Sheffield is one of over 40 institutions in the country where lecturers are set to go on strike in two weeks over pensions and pay inequality. UCU members will go on strike for eight working days from Monday 25 November, with the strikes ending on Wednesday 4 December.

This is a reduction on the number of strike days from the UCU strikes in spring 2018, where lecturers went on strike for 14 working days across four weeks.
The Students’ Union also voted to support the UCU in their 2018 pensions dispute, but was required to hold another vote in order to support the campus trade union this time around.

Liberty Belle reveal Forge Arts & Theatre Editor on 2024/25 Committee

Editor Jasmine Pegg joins former Arts & Theatre Editor Faith Suronku-Lindsay & a team of ten other students leading this year's magazine

Sheffield United Women disappoint in defeat to Bristol City

Sheffield United slipped to a seventh consecutive league defeat after being outclassed by Bristol City at Bramall Lane.

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history