SU Officers’ release ‘Sheffield Student Manifesto’ ahead of General Election

The Students’ Union Officers have released a ‘Sheffield Student Manifesto’ ahead of the General Election, which is due to take place three weeks from today, Thursday 21 November.
The manifesto outlines policies that the Officers support and are split into seven categories which are: housing; mental health; international students’ rights; higher education; cost of living; climate change; and Brexit.
On Brexit the Officers support avoiding a no deal or ‘hard Brexit’ and protecting freedom of movement as well as giving refugee and asylum seekers home student status. They also support “free, publicly-funded education”, a “rapid transition to a sustainable economy & society”, the “re-introduction of rent controls” and reinstating “a grant system where maintenance funding adequately covers living costs”.
The manifesto comes as part of the #OurStudentVote campaign encouraging those who can to register to vote and participate in the election. 

The manifesto which was released by the SU Officers.

Announcing the manifesto on Facebook, the Students’ Union said: “A General Election is coming on December 12th, and the voices of Sheffield students must be heard!
“Sheffield Central has the most student voters of any constituency in the UK, and all students have the right to demand national policy which supports, sustains and strengthens their lives.
“Head to sheffieldsu.com/ourstudentvote for first time voter FAQs, information on informing your vote, and more.”
SU President Jake Verity said: “There’s around 30,000 students at the University of Sheffield and I think it’s incredibly important that their voices are heard in this Election
“Your Students’ Union has put together a manifesto which tackles really important issues for students such as climate change, Brexit, housing, international students’ rights, Higher Education, cost of living and mental health. 
“We think it’s so important that we stand up for students on these issues, and that they are put at the very front of the agenda during this upcoming General Election
“I encourage all students to register to vote by the 26th of November and then go out and use their vote on the 12th of December.”

General Election 2024: Sheffield’s results

Labour won all six of Sheffield’s parliamentary constituencies at Thursday’s general election, on the way to a landslide victory across the country.  Marie Tidball won...

Only 45% of Arts & Theatre MPs returned to new Parliament

Last week’s General Election resulted in 55% of the former Parliament’s MPs with Arts & Theatre experience not return for the new session. Through...

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...