Winter Warmer Muffins

This recipe is the perfect winter warmer! Best served fresh out of the oven, these muffins are packed with festive spices and as an added bonus, are vegan! The best thing about these muffins is that they’re not too sweet but still very indulgent! This recipe serves 12.

Ingredients
Nutty Topping:
2 heaped tablespoons of rolled oats 65g pecans or walnuts
⅓ 45g cup flour 
¼ tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp melted coconut oil
4 tbsp maple syrup
Spiced Winter Muffin Mixture:
150g plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour
½ tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
Pinch of ground ginger
50ml plant-based milk
1 tbsp vinegar
½ tbsp vanilla extract
110g maple syrup 
50g coconut oil
Nutty Topping

1. Mix together the rolled oats, flour and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup and the coconut oil.
  3. Combine the wet and dry bowls by folding the ingredients together with a wooden spoon and then fold in the pecan pieces.

Butternut Squash and Maple Muffins

1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
  2. Mix the vinegar and milk together in a jug and set aside.
  3. Hollow out a small butternut squash. For best results, do this with a spoon and a fork as it shreds the butternut squash enough that it can be put straight into the mixture with ease. 
  4. Mix the flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and spices together in a mixing bowl.
  5. In a separate mixing bowl, melt the coconut oil enough so that it is a liquid and whisk in the maple syrup, vanilla extract and milk-vinegar mixture. Add the butternut squash and mix well.
  6. In a different bowl add the dry ingredients and fold them together with a wooden spoon or spatula until the mixture has combined.
  7. Divide the mixture into 12 muffin cases. Top each muffin with a tablespoon of nutty topping.
  8. Put the muffin tray into the preheated oven for 5 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 190°C for a further 10 minutes. Sometimes they can take a few more minutes to brown off.

Once brown, take out of the oven and leave aside to cool… These muffins are best served fresh out of the oven. 

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...

Exhibition Review: Recasting Canova

The gift for defeating Europe's shortest military legend fails to reach the heights of other Crawford collections

Sheffield Steelers make history on the European stage

The Sheffield Steelers are expertly representing the UK in the Champions Hockey League with three wins on the bounce for the first time ever.

Review: Love Lasts Forever – Destroy Lonely

One of the frontrunners of Playboi Carti’s Opium record label, Destroy Lonely is back with his highly-anticipated album — LOVE LASTS FOREVER. The album,...