Over £114,000 saved with reintroduction of £1 bus fares, First reveal

First Buses have revealed that students have saved over £114,000 in the last six months since the reintroduction of the £1 bus fares. 
The £1 student bus fares were reintroduced in September thanks to negotiations led by Students’ Union President Jake Verity, and fares are set to remain at £1 until April at the earliest.
First’s fares were reduced back to £1 after being increased to £1.20 earlier in 2019. They operate bus routes such as the 95 to Walkley and the 52 to Crookes.
Verity also managed to negotiate with Stagecoach to reduce their student fares back to £1 in October of 2019. Stagecoach operate a number of popular bus routes around the city, including co-sharing the 120 with First.
“I’m really pleased and happy after promising students I’d introduce a £1 bus fare during my year as president that it’s had such a significant impact on our students,” Verity said.
The large savings of £114,000 show how frequently students use First Buses and value this price reduction. “Going forward, I hope all students feel empowered knowing their Students’ Union is standing up for them on issues such as transport and having a huge impact on their everyday life,” Verity added.

General Election 2024: Sheffield’s results

Labour won all six of Sheffield’s parliamentary constituencies at Thursday’s general election, on the way to a landslide victory across the country.  Marie Tidball won...

Only 45% of Arts & Theatre MPs returned to new Parliament

Last week’s General Election resulted in 55% of the former Parliament’s MPs with Arts & Theatre experience not return for the new session. Through...

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...