Affordable and accessible new bandages promote healing in diabetic and burn wounds

Researchers in the University of Sheffield’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering have developed a cotton-based dressing featuring a crucial new element: a chemical agent that promotes the formation of new blood vessels. 
The development of new blood vessels, a process called angiogenesis, is a vital stage in the healing process, but one that is often impaired in chronic wounds like burns and diabetic ulcers. 
Of the 422 million diabetic patients around the world, some 15% will develop diabetic ulcers on their feet or lower legs.
“Chronic wounds can be a huge problem for people with diabetes”, commented Professor Sheila MacNeil, a lead researcher on the project. “Once they develop, they can be difficult to treat, even more so for people in developing countries who can’t afford to access advanced healthcare”. 
In developing countries such as Pakistan, advanced wound care dressings are inaccessible to both doctors and patients due to their price. Patients with diabetes, as well as burn injury patients, are more likely to develop sepsis, suffer from severe scarring, or even have to undergo amputation as a result. 
Through dedicated work in collaboration with researchers in Pakistan, Professor MacNeil has provided an answer. The dressings produced by this team are more affordable and more accessible than any of the methods that Pakistan currently uses to treat chronic wounds.
The key to the team’s success is loading the dressings with a chemical agent: the catchily-named 2-deoxy-D-ribose (2dDR). This small sugar stimulates angiogenesis, resulting in significant increases in the number of new blood vessels formed. This means that the dressings don’t just protect the wound from external infection, they also actively encourage healing. 
Two new dressing designs have developed: non-woven cotton for diabetic ulcers, and cotton wax for burns. 
“The non-woven cotton fibres [are] ideal for treating chronic wounds and ulcer wounds because of their good absorption capacity”, explains Professor MacNeil. “The cotton wax dressing would be more appropriate for treating burn wounds because of its adhesive properties”. 
The dressings are currently still in the testing phase of development but, in the future, they could make a life-changing difference to thousands of patients in developing countries. 

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...