Everything Everything – Re-Animator – Review

Everything Everything are known for their maximalist production, laden with powerful guitars, high energy drums and unpredictable vocals. But for their fifth studio album, produced in only two weeks, the Manchester art rock band take a different approach. Instead of focusing on synths and programming, guitarist and joint-songwriter Alex Robertshaw described how the album was approached from a singer-songwriter perspective, concentrating on melodies and harmonies. 
Re-Animator opens strong, with ‘Lost Powers’, where EE’s new approach of understated production brilliantly pairs an uplifting melody with melancholic lyrics. ‘Arch Enemy’ is another highlight, a song which describes a man who finds God in the form of a sentient fatberg in the sewer. For any EE fan who loves their combination of unsettling lyrics with catchy choruses, this track is sure to be a favourite. 
But afterwards, with the exception of ‘In Birdsong’, a beautifully minimal track about the experience of the first human on earth, the album starts to lose its way. EE’s shift away from busy and inventive production results in disappointingly repetitive melodies and percussion. These shortcomings, combined with limited use of lead singer Jonathon Higgs’ range of vocal styles (instead focusing on melodic falsetto), result in lethargic tracks like ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Lord of the Trapdoor’, which lack the band’s usual dynamism. Re-Animator’s saving grace is ‘Violent Sun’, a big, moving track which closes the album. 
Lyrically, EE have once again delivered on the weird and the wonderful. Much of the album is based on psychologist Julian Jaynes’ theory of bicameralism, the belief that early humans’ minds were separated into two consciousnesses. Re-Animator also delves into themes of human nature, greed, worship and love, all done through EE’s signature use of discomforting imagery, notable in ‘Arch Enemy’: “Jets like wire cut your body/ They slice your teats/ Calcified and stately cheeks”. 
So, is Everything Everything’s new approach to making an album a risk that has paid off? The answer is, unfortunately, no. Focusing on lyrics and harmonies has resulted in a thematically fascinating album but, sentient fatbergs aside, Re-Animator’s simplistic production has created a few melodically beautiful songs and an equal number of boring ones. 

3/5

(Image Credit: RCA Records)

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history

Comedy Review: Myra Dubois ~ Be Well

Eccentric & fabulous, Myra Dubois' comedy stand-up show is brilliantly comedic gold

Touring Production Review: Heathers

University's begun & it's back to school at Westerberg High, for a high-energy, killer performance

SUTCo begin Semester 1 production Tech Calls

With casting complete, SUTCo begin their search for the technical teams of semester one

Review: Ten Days – Fred again..

Ten Days is, to put it simply, the best piece of work Fred again.. has released since Actual Life 3 (January 1 - September...

Review: The Alexander Technique – Rex Orange County

After a two-year hiatus, and in a tumultuous time personally, Alex O’Connor -  professionally known as Rex Orange County - has returned with his...