Opinion: Fears amongst International students as they face VISA delays

As autumn approaches, most universities in the UK are ready to embrace a new start. However, the shadow of the Coronavirus pandemic is still lingering over the campus. With high infection risks in public areas, students’ lives and activities have been greatly affected. The situation is even worse for those international students who are coming to the United Kingdom for the first time. Over the past seven months, many services have been cancelled or delayed due to Covid-19 lockdown restrictions including the International Student Support Office. This has sparked many complaints and left international students confused.
Chen Yi,a 17-year-old Chinese student, is just one of many students who have been left in the dark regarding her Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number which is required for all international students studying in the UK. With the continued closure of the International Student Support Office and International College, her queries, along with many other students entering the UK, could not be properly dealt with in time for the academic year to begin. CAS numbers need to be sorted as soon as possible so that International students can begin their studies. 
Yi said: “The final results of my foundation year were released in August, I knew I passed all the exams and all I needed to do was to wait for my CAS number. After that, I haven’t had a message. I tried to contact International College, they told me it was the Compliance Team in Admissions that I should seek help from. I followed the procedures on [the] CAS application webpage, but no one has responded yet.”
While the delay in issuing CAS numbers was due to the facility closures as a result of Covid-19, the relatively low efficiency of each department is frustrating. It feels like the offices are just passing the buck and it’s disappointing to be endlessly kept waiting. “My friends are just the same. We haven’t been issued with our CAS number nor told what we should do,” Yi said. “None of them ever replied with useful information. It seems to me that they are just passing the buck.”
Chen Yi added, “Besides, I’m an under-aged student and the University has a duty of care  to supervise me to ensure my safety. They used to phone me on a regular basis, but I haven’t received any calls since September. The university offered me accommodation which will be due soon, but they refused to refund the deposit directly to my account because I’m under 18. These issues all need to be addressed as soon as possible.”
The delay of CAS applications has put Hou Liang through a tough period too. “I studied Business and Accounting in Foundation Year, but I failed in one exam so I decided to change my pathway to Music Management. I was told to contact USIC progression team and wait for a few days,” she said.
“I am really not sure whether I will be admitted to the new department. If I got turned down, there would be not enough time for me to apply to another University. That’s why it has concerned me a lot.”
After being quarantined for two weeks, international students are stuck at the beginning of their new academic year as The exact time for the reopening of The International Student Support Office is still uncertain. With these unresolved problems, we just feel at loss and have completely no clue what it could be resorted to.
The University has failed its International students for its lack of efficiency in sorting out these urgent issues, which are expected to be taken more seriously. In absence of the help from the International Student Support Office, new international students just find it hard to settle down quickly.
Update: Statement from the International Officer: “Myself and the SU are willing to take up any issues affecting international students and they can always contact me or the Student Advice Centre for appropriate support/guidance. If a student is experiencing particular issues with their CAS or visas I would encourage them to contact the relevant departments in the first instance. However, if they are not satisfied and want to complain they can get independent advice and support from the Student Advice Centre, which also has a specialist international student adviser.” 
Any international students that have queries can contact the Student Unions’ International Officer ([email protected]) or the Student Advice Centre.

Sheffield Eagles falter in Championship play-off race

The Sheffield Eagles missed out on keeping hold of fourth place in the RFL Championship after a narrow defeat to play-off rivals York Knights at the Olympic Legacy Park Stadium.

In Conversation: Dizzy’s Sera Mustafa

With her Sheffield Theatres debut on the horizon, Sera Mustafa discusses 'DIZZY', touring schools & getting into theatre

PhotoSoc unveil 2024/25 Committee & Summer Competition

A new committee & a new competition for PhotoSoc as Freshers come to the Steel City

🔴 Sheffield Eagles v York Knights: LIVE updates from the RFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from the OLP Stadium as Sheffield Eagles host York Knights in the RFL Championship.

SUTCo & SUPAS open auditions for upcoming shows

The groups have announced audition details for all five of their upcoming productions

Exhibition Review: Examining the Eye

A creative exploration of how we see the world that can occasionally become lost in the miasma of medical jargon

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week