University to suspend face to face teaching from Friday as Covid cases grow

The University of Sheffield has decided to temporarily suspend all face-to-face teaching until Monday 19 October. 
Face-to-face teaching scheduled for Wednesday 7 October and Thursday 8 October will continue as normal. The move to all online learning, excluding clinical teaching, will start on Friday 9 October.
All other lab teaching will be paused or moved online for this transition period.
President and Vice-Chancellor, Koen Lamberts, said in a communication to students: “We will use this transition period to put in place additional risk mitigation measures that will allow for the resumption of face-to-face teaching on Monday 19 October. 
Your department has contingency plans prepared for this eventuality and will be in touch with you shortly to let you know how your learning will be delivered.”
However some departments, such as the department of Journalism Studies, have decided to move all teaching online with immediate effect.
Campus services and facilities such as student support, libraries and cafes will remain open throughout this period.
The decision by the University comes after an increase in Covid-19 cases in the city and within the University itself. 
Figures released on Monday showed there were 110 new positive University cases. 109 from students and 1 from a member of staff.
Students Union President, Beth Eyre, has launched a Google Form that students can complete to raise concerns and suggestions about today’s developments. 
She said: “Safety of students is the priority, but we urgently need to understand the implications of this decision for our students in all areas of their lives. 
“We will continue to represent student needs in meeting with senior University staff and seek further clarity and information on your behalf”. 
The Vice Chancellor’s  communication to students warned of local measures being implemented in the city shortly. 
Greg Fell, the city’s director of Public Health, told BBC radio Sheffield he believes it is a matter of “when” not “if” Sheffield is placed under new lockdown measures.
Image: Rebekah Lowri

🔴 Sheffield Eagles v York Knights: LIVE updates from the RFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from the OLP Stadium as Sheffield Eagles host York Knights in the RFL Championship.

SUTCo & SUPAS open auditions for upcoming shows

The groups have announced audition details for all five of their upcoming productions

Exhibition Review: Examining the Eye

A creative exploration of how we see the world that can occasionally become lost in the miasma of medical jargon

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...