Sport Thoughts: Five Potential Managerial Targets For Barnsley

For the second time in less than a year, Barnsley find themselves in the hunt for a new manager. Despite steering the club clear of relegation last season, Austrian Gerhard Struber has opted to depart and take the reins at MLS side New York Red Bulls.
He had recently questioned the ambitions of the club’s owners and insisted that he did not want to be in a constant battle with relegation.
The Tykes now require a new man at the helm, and we have listed five options that the South Yorkshire side could turn to.
Adam Murray
The 39-year-old would perhaps be the most convenient option, considering he is already employed by the club. He currently occupies the Caretaker Manager role, which he also did for a brief spell in 2019 before Struber’s arrival. Murray presents a relatively cheap option, and would provide a degree of continuity, although lacks experience at Championship level. A successful run in his interim role, however, could put him in the frame.
Paul Cook
Cook’s stock was rising exponentially last season, as his Wigan Athletic side battled bravely with relegation in the face of considerable adversity. Financial insecurity and doubts over the club’s future did not stop the 53-year-old coming agonisingly close to keeping the Latics up, even after they were hit with a 12-point deduction. The former Portsmouth boss has proven that he does not need huge financial backing to succeed and would certainly be a coup if the Reds could land him.
Hannes Wolf
Highly regarded in his native Germany, Wolf has already been linked with the Oakwell vacancy. He cut his teeth in management with Borussia Dortmund’s reserve side, working with current Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp. Considering Barnsley’s tendency to shop overseas for managers, a swoop for Wolf would not come as a surprise. However, the former Genk boss has only just taken up a role with Germany’s under-18 side and may be reluctant to seek pastures new so quickly.
Danny Cowley
Cowley remains on the market following his shock departure from Huddersfield Town in July and could certainly be on Barnsley’s radar. With his brother Nicky alongside him, he led Lincoln City to the National League and League Two titles, as well as an EFL Trophy triumph in 2018. After being dismissed by Huddersfield, the duo will undoubtedly be keen for another Championship opportunity and they could potentially find one at Oakwell.
Darren Moore
Barnsley would have to prise Moore away from Yorkshire neighbours Doncaster Rovers, where he has been at the helm since July 2019. The last starting eleven that Struber named for the Tykes had an average age of just 23.6, and in Moore they would find someone with a proven track record of developing young players. Before stepping into senior management, he worked within West Bromwich Albion’s academy. When he eventually landed the first-team gig at the Hawthorns, he blooded several young prodigies into the senior setup and has now assembled a youthful squad at current club Doncaster. He has not expressed a desire to leave the Keepmoat Stadium, but could potentially be tempted by a return to the second tier.