Coronavirus: staff cases up by 3 as further restrictions expected

The number of staff who have tested positive for Covid-19 at the University of Sheffield has risen by three.
According to latest figures, three new confirmed staff cases were reported to the University on 8 October, which is the highest daily total so far. 
Since the University began publishing statistics on 28 September, the daily total of new staff cases have only once risen above one new case, to two cases on 3 October. Four days in this period had seen no new cases amongst staff.
The figure comes as staff members took to Twitter yesterday to express their concern that University bosses were not doing enough to minimise virus exposure. 
Teaching has temporarily moved online as of today, with the exception of clinical teaching.
However, new cases among students have fallen for a third consecutive day with 60 positive test results reported to the University yesterday. 
In the wider community, Sheffield’s infection rate is now the highest in Yorkshire, with 398.2 new cases per 100,000 people reported in the seven days to 5 October.
The city is currently an area of ‘enhanced support’, however Sheffield City Region Mayor, Dan Jarvis, said people should expect further restrictions to control the virus “in the very near future”. 
Speaking to the BBC he said: “given the rising rate of reinfection in Sheffield, but across the North of England more generally, it seems inevitable that there will be targeted, localised restrictions imposed upon us”. 
Image: Rebekah Lowri

Liberty Belle reveal Forge Arts & Theatre Editor on 2024/25 Committee

Editor Jasmine Pegg joins former Arts & Theatre Editor Faith Suronku-Lindsay & a team of ten other students leading this year's magazine

Sheffield United Women disappoint in defeat to Bristol City

Sheffield United slipped to a seventh consecutive league defeat after being outclassed by Bristol City at Bramall Lane.

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history