Best 2020 book releases by Black authors

Front cover of Hood Feminism
Bloomsbury, £16.99

Hood Feminism
Mikki Kendall
Bloomsbury, £16.99
If you’re looking for some educational non-fiction, Hood Feminism might be the choice for you. It discusses how the feminist movement needs to develop and diversify to encorporate issues such as race, class and disability as well as gender. It’s one of those reads that will make you rethink the world around you. 

Front cover of Such A Fun Age
Bloomsbury, £8.99

Such A Fun Age
Kiley Reid
Bloomsbury, £8.99
When a white blogger asks her African American babysitter to look after her child a chain of events is set off that leads to an insightful literary exploration of race, privilege, and womanhood. Longlisted for the Booker Prize, Such A Fun Age is one of those books that everyone is going to be talking about. 

Front cover of Felix Ever After
HarperTeen, £14.70

Felix Ever After
Kacen Callender
HarperTeen, £14.70
Issues relating torace are often not one experienced in isolation and Callender’s novel Felix Ever After explores the intersection between Blackness, queerness and being transgender. The book also includes several familiar YA tropes such as catfishing, revenge and, of course, the love triangle. 

Front cover of The Black Flamingo
Hodder Children’s Books, £7.99

The Black Flamingo
Dean Atta
Hodder Children’s Books, £7.99
Covering similar themes of Black, queer identity, Dean Atta’s The Black Flamingo follows Michael as he starts University and becomes involved in the Drag community. Told in verse, this book is beautifully written with equally stunning illustrations that make it the kind of book you pick up and finish in a single sitting.  

Front cover of Grown
HarperCollins, £12.99

Grown
Tiffany D Jackson
HarperCollins, £12.99
Fiction by Black authors often possess a compelling power to link to real world events and in the wake of the #MeToo movement, Grown by Tiffany D Jackson effectively tackles the nuanced links between feminism, fame, rape culture and race. As a murder mystery thriller, this book is fast paced, engaging and a must read for 2020.

Front cover of A Song Of Wraiths and Ruin
HarperCollins, £12.99

A Song Of Wraiths and Ruin
Roseanne A Brown
HarperCollins, £12.99
This novel blends West African folklore with classic fantasy to create a rich new world full of romance, adventure and magic. Brown also discusses contemporary issues such as racism and refugees. Perfect for fans of Toni Adeyemi and Sabaa Tahir. 

Front cover of Riot Baby
Tor.com, £15.99

Riot Baby
Tochi Onyebuchi
Tor.com, £15.99
A dystopian narrative exploring police brutality and racial injustice in American whilst also focusing on intimate family relationships, Riot Baby is a novel bursting with a passionate power and one that is destined to spark a fire within its readers. 

Front cover of Take A Hint, Dani Brown
Piatkus, £9.99

Take A Hint, Dani Brown
Talia Hibbert
Piatkus, £9.99
Finally, if like me you love nothing more than a good, cheesy romance read, Take A Hint, Dani Brown (the sequel to Get A Life, Chloe Brown) should definitely be placed on your to-be-read list. Following the fake dating trope, this book is a classic rom-com full of easy banter and fun throughout.

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.