Review: Night Network – The Cribs

The Cribs have emerged back onto the indie scene after three years with their latest record Night Network. The album has a nostalgic feel to it – with many tracks having that distinct distorted guitar sound so eponymous with the Wakefield trio, and considering all the band has overcome to get this album out for fans, it really is a stellar comeback.

Opener, ‘Goodbye’, takes a graceful, yet direct, aim at their former label for keeping them silent and has a soft ballad-esque feel to it. But, the record then bursts into ‘Running Into You’ which captures the infectious charm that sums up The Cribs. It’s a sonically anthemic track with a catchy chorus to compliment its incredible guitar melody. It very much feels like it could fit in a coming-of-age movie, and seems to epitomise the band’s own enthusiasm, no surprise it’s a fan favourite. 

‘Screaming in Suburbia’ is similar in this respect. Whilst it feels slightly more easy-listening, Ryan Jarman’s moody tones pull you in and will have you humming along instantly. Drum, guitar and tambourine heavy, the song acts as an all-rounder; packing in a punch that long-time Cribs fans will be used to. 

The band (thanks to the assistance of Dave Grohl and his 606 studio in L.A)  have undeniably rediscovered their sound. With the urgency of the songs listed so far, as well as ‘Siren Sing-Along’, The Cribs incorporate tight vocals and melodious lyricism which flawlessly showcase the group’s unrelenting perseverance. 

Whilst many critics latch onto the term ‘Landfill Indie’ in a poor attempt to be humorous (or boast their musical snobbery), and in the process taking a hit at many incredibly talented musicians – The Cribs prove that in spite of these discrediting terms, ultimately the only important opinion is their own. We see this as the album reaches another highpoint with the euphoric track ‘Never Thought I’d Feel Again’. This tune is more mature lyrically, and with that comes a fresh sound, loaded with high octane positivity the band have built themselves on.

There are one or two tracks which may be forgotten when compared to the rest of the record, as collaboration with Sonic Youth’s Lee Ronaldo doesn’t quite meet the same level of excitement as 2007’s ‘Be Safe’, but the quality of surrounding tracks more than make up for the one or two which offer less. 

Not only have the band revitalised their sound, but they have significantly adapted to the times. Their live stream show at Liverpool’s Cavern Club, celebrating the album’s release, was extremely successful, and the effort from the band to support smaller and culturally important venues is yet another marker of why they have become one of the most respected bands in the industry. 

Night Network is heavily packed with catchy, well-written indie songs that will simply never go out of style. The Cribs have mastered a smooth indie-rock style with glossy productions and their classic guitar tones. Whilst some songs can be easy-listening, there is a catalogue of unapologetically exciting tracks here which provide necessary escapism we’re all seeking in these winter months.

4/5