Sheffield United Women: The Season So Far

Last summer, a cloud of uncertainty was hanging over Sheffield United Women. 

The departure of manager Carla Ward raised eyebrows, considering the former midfielder had been pivotal in the club’s recent success. She was a key in making the club members of the Championship in 2018 and went on to guide the Blades to the highest finish in their history last season. She is now in charge of FA Women’s Super League side, Birmingham City.

Fortunately, Ward’s departure has not deterred the Blades. They swooped to appoint Neil Redfearn as manager, who counts Doncaster Rovers Belles and Liverpool Women among his former clubs. Under Redfearn, they have impressed and, at the time of writing, have lost just once in their last seven games.

Having convincingly dispatched Coventry United and seeing off Lewes on their last two outings, the Blades have an outside chance of clinching the title. They trail league leaders Leicester City by seven points and have six league games remaining. The Foxes have a game in hand, but Redfearn’s side will be keen to do their utmost to close the gap.

If they are to do so, they will be relying on further contributions from top scorer, Katie Wilkinson. An addition from London Bees in 2019, the forward has established herself as a key figure for the Blades and notched two in the club’s most recent win, against Lewes. Redfearn is also able to rely on players he has worked with before, such as captain Leandra Little. A veteran of the game, she featured heavily under the manager during their time at Doncaster Rovers Belles, and eventually followed him to Liverpool, where she became captain. 

They also have defender Nat Johnson amongst their ranks, who is currently combining the Blades’ title push with 40-hour weeks processing Covid-19 samples in Leicester.

Although Sheffield United’s women’s side is comprised of part-time players, promotion would change the landscape of the club. Players would turn professional, creating opportunities for players to make representing Sheffield United a full-time occupation.

For now, however, chasing Leicester is the priority. The Blades will make the journey down to The Hive on Sunday to face London Bees, but for the remainder of the season, will always have one eye on how their rivals are faring.

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...