Students aim to complete ‘Around The World’ challenge as part of university committee’s “Pride in Sport” campaign

Students from the University of Sheffield are currently participating in the ‘Around The World’ challenge – a mammoth attempt to travel the 24,901 miles across the world by walking, running, cycling or swimming in the weeks leading to 14 March.

The huge undertaking is being led by the University’s Sports Committee as part of their Pride in Sports campaign to mark LGBT+ History Month, and aims to fundraise for the Sheena Amos Youth Trust (SAYiT).

Jordan Frith, the chair of the Pride in Sport campaign and Inclusions and Wellbeing Officer of the Sports Committee explained what the campaign is aiming to achieve and how fundraising efforts will support the work of SAYiT.

“We are fundraising for local Sheffield-based LGBTQ+ organisation SAYiT (Sheena Amos Youth Trust) as part of our challenge. They do great work in creating environments that support the sexual and emotional wellbeing of young people, empowering LGBTQ+ people and those affected by HIV to transform their lives and that of their peers, through education, training and support.”

“In times like these, we must look to help those who are most vulnerable in society, especially marginalised communities. Ultimately our campaign aims to educate and empower our sporting community to reflect and act on the barriers that LGBTQ+ people still face in accessing and participating in sport.”

As part of the challenge, students are being asked to run each day in a different colour from the six-colour Pride flag, and can take part by recording their activity through the Strava group and uploading a picture of them wearing the day’s designated colour.

The challenge is open to anyone, whether they are part of a sports club or not and even including alumni, and there are currently over 500 members in the Strava Club.

Frith stressed that another important benefit of the campaign is to keep people active during the difficulties and stresses of lockdown.

“Lockdown life has definitely taken its toll on us all, so as a committee we felt it important to energise our community to get moving – adding in the competitive element of rewards and prizes for times/distances.”

The University’s sports clubs are also rallying behind the challenge, including the Women’s Hockey Club, who commented:

“SUWHC is really proud to be part of the Cover the World challenge supporting local charity SAYiT along with all the other Uni clubs in a collaboration to promote inclusivity and allyship to all those in the LGBTQ+ community as well as encouraging those who may not be well-informed in particular areas to educate themselves. Education is really key to creating a truly inclusive atmosphere and we’re very happy to be supporting the important work SAYiT does and the Sports Committee’s informative social media campaign for Pride in Sport.”

The fundraiser is already well on its way to hit it’s £1,000 target for SAYiT. The challenge’s go-fund-me page and Strava Club link will be included in the online version of this article. 

Best of luck to the Sports Committee and everyone who is contributing in their efforts, and do take part if you can either by participating or donating to help a very worthy cause.

The Strava Club can be joined here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/845633.

The fundraiser is also well over halfway to achieving its goal of raising £1,000 for SAYiT, and you can donate here: https://gofund.me/710a711a.

Ways to make the most of the sun this summer

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...