A World-Beating Failure: The UK’s response to Covid-19

(Data accurate when written)

Three National Lockdowns. 64 different changes to restrictions. Over 110,000 dead. The third worst death rate in the world on an island nation. The UK government’s Covid-19 response has been an unmitigated disaster.

The countries which have been successful during the pandemic (New Zealand, Vietnam and Australia) have been so because they took quick, tough and decisive action against rising Covid-19 cases. They have, and had throughout the pandemic, strict border quarantine measures, reducing the risk of importing and spreading the virus from abroad.

In contrast, the UK government has done the opposite, consistently taking too long to take necessary action. While the rest of Europe was locking down last March, the British public was only encouraged to wash their hands to ‘God Save the Queen’ or ‘Happy Birthday’. Lockdown was late again in December leaving the NHS on the brink of becoming overwhelmed.

Only now has any serious action been taken at Britain’s borders – eleven months after it was clear Covid-19 posed a severe threat. All this from a governing party that strongly advocates tighter border controls. It would be laughable if the consequences were not as harrowing.

On 20 January the UK reported 1820 deaths, the record number of deaths registered on a single day – 52 times what Vietnam has recorded for the entire pandemic, despite it being more populated than the UK.

The Government’s approach to expectant management has been equally dire. They have made wild claims of ‘world-beating’ systems and a ‘moonshot’ testing plan, consistently over-promising and under-delivering. False hope has been the Government’s currency, suggesting normality could return by Christmas during the summer. Then they said families could meet for a three day Christmas period before backtracking to Christmas day alone just days before the holiday itself.

Furthermore, school pupils faced the bizarre situation of returning to school for literally one day after Johnson reopened schools before announcing the third national lockdown. His indecision and inaction inevitably increased the spread of the virus and no doubt took a toll on the nation’s mental health as we lost faith longing for the everchanging end of the pandemic .

The perceived success of Nicola Sturgeon’s pandemic response underlines the importance of a good communication strategy. A recent opinion poll has suggested that 40% of people strongly approve of Sturgeon’s response compared to just 11% for Johnson. In reality, the Scottish response has been fraught by the same mistakes made in England – but crucially Sturgeon has treated Scotland like adults. She has not been afraid to tell the public the brutal facts and how bad she expects things to get – rather than pussyfooting her way round only telling people what they want to hear. Be honest with us and we’ll have more trust and confidence in your decisions.

One of the principal methods of restricting the virus is a rigorous system of testing and tracing. Johnson promised Britain’s version would be ‘world-beating’, costing around £22 billion. However, the system collapsed in September as the Government ‘did not expect’ a rise in cases when schools and universities returned, because promising students an in-person education and encouraging their travel across the country and even across the world surely couldn’t spread the virus. Could it? Face it, test and trace was a world-beating failure.

Beleaguered Education Secretary, Gavin Williamson, has become a microcosm for the Government’s response. He presided over the exams debacle in the summer and stood by as students’ grades were altered based on their postcode, discriminating against those in lower income areas. Shamefully, had it not been for a tidal wave of negative public opinion he would not have changed track. Notice how government action only comes after public criticism; it was the same for the whole free school meals malarkey.

There have been other abject episodes too – some London schools were threatened with court action if they did not open in the week before Christmas despite an exponential rise in cases in the capital. 92% of teachers believe his handling of education warrants dismissal – yet he somehow remains in the job. A Government spokesperson has said he is working to ‘his utmost ability’ – which is probably the problem.

The Government has consistently failed the public throughout the crisis. When firm, decisive leadership has been necessary, England has received delay, indecision and incompetence. The results are tragic. Over 110,000 people have paid for them with their life.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...