A creative and innovative production that truly epitomises the theatrical spirit in these unusual times: The Color Purple At Home Review

As theatres remain closed, online productions continue to spring forth, proving time and time again that necessity is the mother of invention. This spirit is truly epitomised by the creativity and innovation of this musical revival of ‘The Color Purple’, with the production only having had two weeks to reimagine itself as a socially distanced, staged concert on screen. While in some areas the hastiness of this relaunch shows, overall this reverent and intimate production packs an emotional punch on several different levels and gives stupendously talented performers a platform to shine. 

This tasteful and respectful adaption contains moments of subtlety and nuance combined with powerful, bombastic expression. The truly shining element of this musical remains the magnificent songs by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray that celebrate life, love, resilience and the strength to be and love yourself. The artful weaving of jazz, ragtime, gospel and blues performed by a band of incredible musicians combine effortlessly with the company’s soulful vocals. The production opens with powerhouse Anelisa Lamola masterful delivery of ‘Mysterious Ways’. However, the stand out moment always remains the heart wrenching ‘I’m Here’ which marks Celie’s acceptance of herself despite the immense trauma she has endured. 

The ensemble is uniformly enchanting, with T’Shan Williams as Celie at the helm of the production delivering perfect innocence that progresses over the years to a mature, quietly confident, inner strength. Williams and Danielle Fiamanya as Nettie represent the familial core of the production as their chemistry radiates out filling the space with joy and love. Carly Mercedes Dyer as Shug is sensual and vivacious while Karen Mavundukure exudes self-assurance and empowerment as Sofia. Ako Mitchell as Mister showed real range, nuance, and growth in the second half of the production. Finally, the trio of church singers that acted as a gossiping Greek chorus provides much needed comic relief from the emotionally raw narrative. 

Overall, the constraints of social distancing create an intimate and at times claustrophobic production. Indeed, the adaptation’s adherence to Covid-19 guidelines is cleverly disguised throughout, through the use of a revolving stage and choreography creating dynamic ensemble action. However, the hindrance becomes apparent at the climactic reunion of Celie and Nettie as they must remain two metres apart. Moreover, the restrictions meant that the love story between Celie and Shug felt tentative as they cannot touch, hug or kiss meaning their relationship feels chaste. Yet the actors did everything in their power to deliver the emotional intensity in whatever ways they could. Therefore, though some scenes felt a little stilted and alien due to the lack of physicality and touch, the emotions and catharsis remained poignant. 

Thus, despite clunky camerawork at times undermining the ebullient performances in this digital adaptation, the production symbolises the same resilience and hope that Celie embodies. As we come to the year mark of the ongoing pandemic, the line “I’m thankful for every day that I’m given, both the easy and hard ones I’m living” stands out as we forge on in such bizarre and frightening times trying to find happiness in the everyday.

The Color Purple is available online until 7th March at curveonline.co.uk

Featured Image: T’Shan Williams as Celie.
Credit: Pamela Raith

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...