The Rise of the TikTok Musical

TikTok is huge right now. The social media app, which has over 1 billion users, has become the go-to site for everything from finding cute dog videos to learning about politics. As a platform filled with weird and wonderful content where users can let their imagination run wild, perhaps one of TikTok’s latest trends is unsurprising. The rise of the TikTok musical. 

Fans have started using the app to give their favourite TV shows and films the musical treatment, with Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical and Bridgerton the Musical, two of the first such productions, having already gained popularity around the world. 

TikTok has become a virtual meeting space where creatives can come together to produce work, and it is one that allows audiences into these spaces like never before. TikTok enables musical theatre fans to not only see finished musical numbers published on the app but watch as they are created, giving their feedback. Speaking to Variety, Emily Bear, half of the creative duo behind Bridgerton the Musical, explained: “The fact we can reach so many people and talk back and forth with them and discuss ideas and thoughts, it’s like we’re workshopping it instantly.” Ratatouille the Musical also prides itself on its collaborative creation process, advertising itself as “your musical”.

Although the future of TikTok musicals is not yet clear, with Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical and Bridgerton the Musical differing in the directions they have each taken, both have made clear TikTok-sourced musicals can prove profitable ventures. Ratatouille the Musical has already seen commercial success, raising $200,000 for The Actors Fund after SeaView Productions created a professional production based upon the TikTok musical numbers. SeaView productions then streamed the show online as a ticketed performance in January, all in aid of entertainers struggling because of the loss of income caused by the pandemic. Produced by Greg Nobile, who previously produced Tony-nominated Slave Play, and directed by Lucy Moss, who co-wrote and co-directed smash hit Six the Musical, this production made it clear TikTok musicals could be the future of musical theatre. 

Sharing the show online enabled it to reach an audience of 350,000 people in over 73 hours; a feat which would be impossible for any staged production in such a short period of time. The wealth of talent eager to get involved with the show also proves the industry is welcoming this innovative new style of musical. Despite its unconventional origin, Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical was the real thing, crafted into a show by industry professionals using the same amount of effort, passion, and skill as they would for any staged production. Given the success of the musical, with TikTok fans and general musical fans alike excited to see the TikTok-inspired show, Broadway could be the next step.

The creative pair behind Bridgerton the Musical certainly have their eyes set on seeing the show in big lights. Bridgerton, Netflix’s most-watched original series, is currently undergoing the musical treatment thanks to the genius of singer-songwriter Abigail Barlow. When Barlow first shared Bridgerton-inspired songs to TikTok, uploading two videos showcasing her work on the same day, she received an overwhelming response. The reaction to the videos, which now have a combined total of 6 million views, prompted her to reach out to pianist and composer,Emily Bear, and now the pair have written nine further songs. The duo say several of the shows cast members have praised their work, and the author of the Bridgerton Series, Julia Quinn, has even expressed her support of the project. No plans have yet been released suggesting the musical will play online like with Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical, but that isn’t to say the pair don’t have big hopes for their project. In an interview with Variety, Bear said: “The dream, of course, would be Broadway. Wouldn’t that be nice, if the world opened back up and we could put on ‘Bridgerton: The Musical’?”

For now, both musicals will continue to exist in their first home: TikTok. The creators behind both musicals have set up separate accounts for the productions; Ratatouille: The Tiktok Musical has gathered over 500,000 followers, and the newer account for its Bridgerton counterpart has nearly 35,000 followers. While the pandemic continues fans will have plenty of content to watch as both accounts regularly share duets and behind the scenes clips. Once theatres can reopen, there will also be a whole host of new opportunities available, so watch out because a TikTok musical could soon be coming to a stage near you.

General Election 2024: Sheffield’s results

Labour won all six of Sheffield’s parliamentary constituencies at Thursday’s general election, on the way to a landslide victory across the country.  Marie Tidball won...

Only 45% of Arts & Theatre MPs returned to new Parliament

Last week’s General Election resulted in 55% of the former Parliament’s MPs with Arts & Theatre experience not return for the new session. Through...

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...