Review: Lana Del Rey – Chemtrails Over the Country Club

On her seventh studio album, a more mature Lana Del Rey takes a step back from the glamour of the West Coast and takes a 45 minute trip across America, relying on simple production, and intimate, heartfelt writing.

Perhaps one of the more controversial names in music since the early 2010’s, Del Rey has long cemented her influence and versatility past the sadcore ballads of Born to Die. In fact, little of her debut persona, characterized by Hollywood infatuation and glamorous gloom can be found in her latest album. “I’m not unhinged or unhappy, I’m just wild”, she sings, as if shedding her old skin, determined to set the record straight.

As Lana turns to introspection, she takes a turn for a more stripped down, singer-songwriter-esque sound, coupled with folk influences. She travels to Arkansas and Nebraska carrying an air of freedom, but also the burden of fame and the price paid for it. “But sometimes, this ranch feels like my only friend / And life doesn’t always work out like we planned”, she sings on “Dance Till We Die” with a bittersweet tone to her voice.

Possibly her most striking opener since Ultraviolence’s “Cruel World”, “White Dress” acts as a lyrical and sonic thesis for the album, with a characteristic melancholy piano and vocals ranging from serene to pleading, giving the track an alternative twist. Del Rey evokes the memory of a “simpler time” before fame – a 19 year old waitress in Orlando, far from the grandiosity of The Hills and wonders if she could go back, would she do it all again.

One cannot speak of Lana’s music without emphasising its deep ties with American kitsch. Devoted to being a 21-st century bard to Americana, she raises the topic of God, central to the national identity in “Tusla Jesus Freak” – a seductive fusion of sensuality and spirituality, coupled with relaxed hip-hop sounds and a liberal use of autotune. Her glorification of the US’s arcana doesn’t stop here, with references to last century household names and landmark locations adding authenticity and a familiar comfort to her tracks.

While Del Rey’s sincerity, dreamy melodies and poetic lyrics feel like home for many, she remains an object of controversy to many others. Alas, amidst the chaos of fame, Chemtrails Over the Country Club depicts an appreciation for the smaller joys in life, all while trying to remain free in a world growing wilder by the day. “If you love me, you love me,” she assures, “because I’m wild at heart.”

4/5

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...

Exhibition Review: Recasting Canova

The gift for defeating Europe's shortest military legend fails to reach the heights of other Crawford collections

Sheffield Steelers make history on the European stage

The Sheffield Steelers are expertly representing the UK in the Champions Hockey League with three wins on the bounce for the first time ever.

Review: Love Lasts Forever – Destroy Lonely

One of the frontrunners of Playboi Carti’s Opium record label, Destroy Lonely is back with his highly-anticipated album — LOVE LASTS FOREVER. The album,...