On the 8 May, WBA and WBC Super Middleweight Champion Canelo Alvarez defeated WBO Super Middleweight Champion Billy Joe Saunders in a unification bout. This fight has been much-anticipated for many years, especially by British boxing fans who believed that Saunders could be the one to defeat Canelo. This is because many argued Canelo struggles against technical fighters – citing his loss to Mayweather and controversial victory over Lara. The build-up was characterised by much drama over the ring size and judges. This only served to add to the level of excitement, as Saunders was not overawed by Canelo and had seemed to get under his skin. Fortunately for the capacity crowd this mega fight lived up to expectations, with it being a compelling contest between two great boxers in their prime, proving Saunders belonged in the ring with Canelo. It also proved Canelo could handle technical boxers.

It is ridiculous how some boxing pundits have criticised Saunders for how the fight ended, as it needed to end to prevent further damage being inflicted to his eye. Many boxing and medical experts have since asserted that Saunders may never box again. It has been confirmed that Saunders wanted to continue, but this is what a fighter’s coach is there to do – protect the boxer from themselves. This leaves the question of what will happen next with Saunders? Will he retire or will he attempt to make an epic comeback? Whatever he decides Saunders has had a terrific career.

However, the biggest question coming out of the fight at the weekend is who is there left for Canelo to fight? With the exception of Mayweather, Canelo is undefeated and has faced all comers to the point where there are few plausible options left for him at Super Middleweight and Middleweight. 

Canelo has said he wants to fight Caleb Plant, the IBF Super Middleweight Champion, to become undisputed Super Middleweight champion. But after he beats Plant – who no one thinks is on his level – what will be next? A big money rubber match with Gennady Golovkin (GGG) is a financially attractive fight and it is plausible to make – both are signed to Eddie Hearn. However, the insult-ridden build-up to their second fight, and the controversial results of both fights, seem to have left a sour taste in Canelo’s mouth. Golovkin incensed Canelo with accusations about doping causing the usually respectful Canelo to become nasty in the build-up, thus he may be unwilling to fight Golovkin a third-time. This, however, is the boxer many people feel Canelo should fight after Plant as it makes financial sense and it is with a fighter who is of the same calibre to him. Furthermore, many feel Golovkin was robbed of victory in both fights, thus making him deserving of the third fight. Golovkin’s desire for the Canelo trilogy may be why he is unwilling to fight technical boxer Demetrius Andrade in a Middleweight unification fight. This is because there is a risk he will lose or look bad, thereby ruining any chance of the Canelo trilogy materialising.

Other than Plant or Golovkin the only other plausible options at Middleweight or Super Middleweight are David Benavidez, the former IBF Super Middleweight World Champion, and Andrade, the WBO Middleweight Champion. Neither of these fights will excite Canelo or the public. Benavidez is not a world class fighter, so there will be little interest in the fight from the public. Andrade, on the other hand, is a very awkward and technical boxer – a style that makes for tricky and, arguably, boring fights. Consequently, this may mean the public are reluctant to watch his fights, preventing Andrade from getting the Canelo fight. This criticism was also levelled at Saunders and Andre Ward, perhaps explaining why they had difficulty getting big fights. In theory if Canelo wants the fight the Canelo-Andrade fight looks quite easy to make, as both are promoted by Eddie Hearn. However, Canelo seems completely uninterested in fighting Andrade because of his “boring” style and “disrespectful” antics at the post-fight press conference.

There seem to be few options at Middleweight or Super Middleweight after the undisputed Super Middleweight fight that Canelo would entertain. This means he may return to Light Middleweight to face the winner of Jermell Charlo and Brian Castano in a mega fight to become only the second man to be undisputed champion in two different weight classes.

Canelo is a free network agent meaning that television network and promotional politics should not enter the equation when he is pursuing fights he wants. However, the fact that he is Canelo Alvarez may mean fighters, like Plant and Charlo, and promoters try to avoid him. Furthermore, being promoted by Eddie Hearn may be to his detriment, as Hearn has antagonised many American boxing promoters thereby meaning other promoters may be unwilling to make a cross-promotional fight.

Canelo has said he wants to fight for another seven years, but he may soon get to the point where he has no one left to fight. Every fighter wants to fight Canelo, but few of those potential fights make sense for Canelo. This is because either the fighters are not at his level or because it would not make business sense. Canelo having limited options left is not a criticism of him, it is a reflection of how great he is that he has dispatched all challengers.

Image credit: TheDailySportsHerald, Flickr