Last week saw the departure of one of Sheffield United’s greatest managers as Chris Wilder’s reign came to an end after just under five years in charge. So, it’s right I use this space to thank the lifelong Blade, or “God” as a flag left outside the ground put it, for the privilege of being able to follow what has been an unbelievable journey.

Arriving as a student here in Sheffield back in 2017, the Blades were coming off the back of a 100 point haul in Wilder’s first season in League One which saw them return to the Championship after six years of hurt. A promotion charge in 2017/18 fizzled out as they finished a very respectable 10th, but they went from strength to strength and secured automatic promotion to the Premier League the following year. And there was no holding United back in the big time either as they made a mockery of many pundits’ predictions to fight it out for the European places, eventually falling just short of one of the biggest achievements in Premier League history but still finishing a terrific 9th.

But it’s not just those bare facts and figures that made it such a special period at Bramall Lane, it’s the manner in which Wilder’s Blades achieved their success. No one had ever heard of an overlapping centre-back before Jack O’Connell and Chris Basham helped drag the club from mid-table in League One to the top of the English game performing that role.

United’s promotion to the Premier League came courtesy of some of the best, most inventive football the Championship has ever seen which few had an answer to. But this was also a hard-working, determined and united group moulded in their manager’s image. The visit of Brentford to S2 in the promotion battle proved that, as the ten-men Blades threw everything on the line to preserve their 1-0 lead, every block and tackle cheered that bit louder by the home fans. And despite being under the cosh, Wilder swapped defender George Baldock for striker Billy Sharp, which worked a treat as his strike-partner David McGoldrick doubled the lead late on to ensure a remarkable win of a remarkable season.

Much of what had already been displayed over the previous seasons was thrust into the national limelight after a second promotion in three years, and United’s fearless approach brought further success. Four points were secured against Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham; the mighty Manchester United were torn apart for 70 minutes in a dramatic 3-3 draw; sell-out crowds gave Bramall Lane one of the best atmospheres in the country and helped United in their European push.

And in the hot seat throughout was an astute boss living the dream, who mended a broken relationship between players, management and supporters and created an almost unrivalled unity between the pitch, dugout and terraces.

It’s the end of an era, but what an era it was. Thank you Chris.