How can the Blades re-discover their cutting edge?

After a breath-taking first season back in the Premier League, which nearly saw Sheffield United miraculously secure European football, few could have foreseen the sudden drop off that was to follow in the last Premier League season.

It made for dismal viewing on and off the pitch for the injury-stricken and goal-shy Blades. A public power struggle between the universally loved former manager Chris Wilder and the club’s owner Prince Abdullah bin Musa’ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud culminated in the former, losing his job compounded those woes.

After an extensive search to find Wilder’s successor, former Watford and Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic was eventually given the nod to lead the Blades’ charge back towards the top-flight. But after a season of such enormous lows, it seems the new man in charge, who has tasted promotion from the Championship twice before, has a serious upheaval on his hands.

Assuming that the Blades manage to keep hold of the core of their squad, banishing the demons hanging over the heads of a group that suffered 29 defeats last season will be a significant test. Even in a new division, there is no guarantee that a drop-off in the quality of opposition will repair the players’ shattered confidence and see an upturn in results.

There will be some new faces in the Blades midfield, with John Lundstram reaching the end of his contract and then record signing Sander Berge expected to depart Bramall Lane. Lundstram’s ongoing contract dispute soured his rapport with supporters and almost certainly contributed to his sub-par performances.

Berge has produced several displays that have turned the heads of some of Europe’s top clubs since joining in January 2020. In the cases of Berge and goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, who recovered from a tough start to life in South Yorkshire to force his way into England contention, it seems unlikely they will be plying their trade in the second division next season.

Jokanovic needs to get his transfer business both in and out of the door done early. Pre-season football will be vital in allowing Jokanovic to drill his high-intensity pressing game into the minds of existing players as well as new signings. The new man will already have his transfer wish-list prepared and the Blades need to match his ambitions by supplying him with the funds to remodel the team.

United may take inspiration from their previous success in the loan market with the likes of Dean Henderson as the more financially sustainable route. After watching exciting youngster Daniel Jebbison force his way into the team at the end of last season, Jokanovic may also look to the Blades’ youth players to help make up numbers in the squad.

The Championship can be a difficult division to navigate, even for the best-equipped clubs. Whilst United may not fall into that category, in Jokanovic they have a man with a proven track record.