Charlie Mucklow and Philippa Mills create new Sheffield Tigers Women’s team

Over the last year, with a gripping Premier 15s and Six Nations, women’s rugby has drawn more attention to itself than ever before. The creation of the Sheffield Tigers Women’s team is one of the many opportunities created to encourage girls and women to get involved in the sport

Recent Sheffield Hallam graduates Charlie Mucklow and Philippa Mills were the key figures in creating the team. Both of them hold extensive experience playing both university and club rugby, embracing different elements of rugby culture. Their story about the making of the team sheds a positive light onto the demand for more women’s sides and the inclusivity of the game. During the pandemic, Charlie and Philippa recognised that Sheffield Ladies RUFC were the only official women’s rugby union team in the city and were inspired to create this new team. When asked why they wanted this expansion and new opportunity, Charlie explained that “the biggest thing for us was that we wanted somewhere where it would feel like home for us, like a proper rugby club should feel, and Sheffield Tigers said they would offer us that”.  

Inclusivity for all is key for this new Sheffield side.

“Regardless of your age [or ability] we can pretty much adapt sessions to absolutely everyone, so it’s all about inclusivity and making that family feeling”. 

Going beyond the university bubble, Charlie and Philippa aim to “try and get the wider spread of Sheffield and get that general population that wouldn’t necessarily try rugby and get them to come along” – calling out to women of all ages and abilities. 

More than this, Charlie and Philippa look optimistic for the team’s future, already looking to organise friendly matches in order to join a league: “In five years time we hope to be in a comfortable position in a league or at least in a league that suits our ability for the level we will be at that time”. 

Charlie encourages those who might be considering joining the women’s team. “Just come and give it a go… I guarantee once you’re here for five minutes, you meet all the girls and get that family home feeling and the culture that we have, and you won’t want to leave”.

The Sheffield Tigers Women have training sessions every Tuesday and Thursday, 7pm at Sheffield Tigers RUFC, Hathersage – open to all women over 18, all abilities welcome.

Twitter: SheffieldTigersWomenRUFC
Instagram: SheffieldTigersWomenRUFC

Facebook: Sheffield Tigers Women RUFC