On Monday 19th July, almost all legal coronavirus restrictions were lifted in England. Masks are no longer compulsory and there is no size restriction on mass gatherings and organised indoor events. The day has been nicknamed ‘Freedom Day’, but with significant rises in cases and a government with a history of backtracking, it’s hard to trust this so-called freedom.

Clubbing is a huge part of student culture; something I and many others have missed out on in their first year. Most of us are excited to experience PopTarts, Roar, and all of Sheffield’s nightlife properly. However, this ‘Freedom Day’ doesn’t apply to everyone. The clinically vulnerable and their relatives are still limited for fear of their health and safety.

I’m very torn over how to feel about ‘Freedom Day’. I know more people isolating at the moment than any other time in the pandemic so far. These rising cases suggest this ‘freedom’ could come at a costly price for both people and the economy. Our current cabinet have become renowned for their U-turns throughout the pandemic and I, along with many others, are reluctant to trust this freedom. 

Another full lockdown will be incredibly damaging to the economy whilst also risking the mental health of the people and leading them to lose even more faith in their leaders. The Prime Minister has urged people to act cautiously after ‘Freedom Day’; somewhat of a contradiction to what their new policies encourage. Whilst I’m all for encouraging personal responsibility, it sometimes appears that government are trying to wash their hands of accountability for any future lockdowns.

I do understand the ‘now or never’ mentality. Over 87 million UK adults have had at least their first vaccination, and the rate of deaths and hospitalisations compared to cases is promising. But it seems unlikely that Covid-19 will be eradicated entirely; instead being managed similarly to how we handle flu season.

There’s always going to be a reason to delay the easing of restrictions, but we can’t live like this forever. If removing restrictions goes well, it could really boost the government’s image. But if it crashes and burns, it could be the end of Johnson and his cabinet.

The majority of other students I’ve spoken to have similarly divided opinions. The general consensus is whilst we’re glad things are opening up, perhaps not all of it is necessary. Mask-wearing in shops isn’t too much of an inconvenience, and it helps to slow the spread and protect others. Going into a nightclub is a choice, but everyone has to go food shopping and it seems unfair and unnecessary to put everyone at risk.

Almost everyone I’ve spoken to has said they intend to continue wearing a mask once restrictions lift. Many people are anxious about being in crowded spaces after 18 months of being ordered to avoid them. The world has changed since we first went into lockdown back in March 2020 and it seems unlikely that we will ever completely go back to our pre-pandemic lifestyles. Anxiety is high, and all this ‘freedom’ doesn’t feel real.

My general observation is that other students are being cautious around the easing of restrictions; still wearing masks in public spaces, social distancing and regularly testing themselves. I won’t pretend I’m not excited to get back out into the world and I’m looking forward to exploring our new ‘freedom’. However, I, along with many others, am just waiting for this all to spiral into another lockdown. 

After the year we’ve had, we’ve learnt that plans can change very quickly. I’m making the most of ‘freedom’ while it lasts and finally got back out to a club this week but I can’t say it’ll be a regular thing for me at the moment. I fear another lockdown is looming, and we’re all scared to get our hopes up and be disappointed once again.

This new ‘freedom’ is exciting, daunting and overwhelming. All eyes are on the numbers over the coming weeks to see whether the government’s risky scheme has paid off. One can only hope this is the beginning of a post-pandemic future, but I won’t be holding my breath.