Review: Imagine Dragons – Mercury — Act 1

After a three-year break and some family time, Imagine Dragons finally released its 5th studio album under the mysterious name Mercury – Act 1. There are 10 original tracks, together with previously released singles ‘Wrecked’, ‘Follow You’ and ‘Cutthroat’.

Mercury Act – 1 can be  seen as a turning point in the career of  the American indie-rock band. It feels the most grown-up record they have produced so far, both in terms of the music and themes covered in the album.

Unlike the previous album Origins, which was more futuristic and light, Mercury – Act 1 returns to a more familiar style, adding a slight hard-rock twist. There are some tracks on the record which feel too experimental and strong like ‘Giants’ or ‘Dull Knives’, but most of the songs sound as one can expect.

Even though it may be illogical to say, this album is much more about the message than the music which goes along. Mercury – Act 1 raises topical questions of loneliness, self-realisation, boundaries, and other mental health troubles people may experience.

For some people this record can be a very heavy listen. Almost every song will hit right in the heart of those who have, at least once, suffered  from depression, anxiety, or  have trouble trying to find their own place in this world.  Singing about his own worries, Dan Reynolds is also singing on behalf of millions around the world who also feel lonely, sad and do not see purpose in their lives.

However, listening to Mercury – Act 1 doesn’t invoke much sadness. Even though the lyrics are grim, the general energy of the album is one of optimism, and as the band itself says ”This album is meant to be a source of happiness. Though it dives into moments of grief and searching, at its core, it is a celebration of life and humanity.’’

This especially comes through in the last two songs ‘No Time For Toxic People’ and ‘One Day’ which try to persuade us that our lives are worth living, and every one of us will eventually find love, happiness and peace.

Mercury – Act 1 is the best album Imagine Dragons have so far produced. It combines the band’s original style together with touching lyrics and an important message. The record is deep enough to leave you thinking  afterwards, but it does not make you feel bad. Listening to the album is like opening up about your problems which in itself can be extremely beneficial on the way to feeling better.

Rating: 4/5