Going to university is one of the biggest steps that we may take in our lives. 

As exciting as it is, it can also be daunting trying to navigate a new city alone, whilst also making friendships and keeping on top of workload. Being a fresher during the pandemic only heightened the difficulty of the above tasks. 

So, I have compiled a list of tricks and tips I wish I had known when starting University last year, in the hopes that this guide will help new freshers not make the same mistakes that I made.

GUIDE TO: ACADEMICS

1.Prepare for change

The style of learning is likely to be difficult and very overwhelming for new students; university is very different to sixth form education, so this can throw many people off. However, it is important to know that everyone is in the same boat, and that you won’t be the only one feeling like you don’t understand. You will also have to prepare yourself to be more independent with your learning, as lecturers and tutors have no obligation to check up on you and keep pushing you. 

2.Don’t fall behind

studying student- photo from Unsplash.

Missing lectures can be very tempting, especially during the pandemic where all lectures were remote. It is very easy to just roll out of bed and switch your lecture on and fall straight back to sleep, or to say you will just catch up on the recording of the lectures. However, missing even a day of lectures can put you so far behind, when having to add it to the workload of another day. Do yourself a favour and go to as many lectures as possible to save future you from having regrets.

3.Reference as you go along

This is probably one of the most important tips to follow throughout your journey at University. When writing essays, articles and coursework, it is VITAL to do your referencing as soon as you mention it in the body of work. Leaving it until the end makes for a very difficult and infuriating day of trying to gather all your old references, links etc. It is not uncommon to have 20+ references in coursework, and no one wants to be left with that task.

A few other tips I have in terms of academics:

• Don’t be scared to reach out to lecturers: they are there for a reason
  • No question is a stupid question. 
  • Discuss work with friends in the course
  • Learn to reference correctly
  • Learn how to use critical thinking and analysis skills.

GUIDE TO: SOCIAL LIFE

Despite what parents would like to believe, it is no secret that social life is a massive part of University life. It can be very daunting however, especially for students who recently turned 18 and haven’t had much experience. 

1. Be friendly with as many people as you can.

Not many people will tell you this, but University can be very, very lonely. Thankfully, making friends is so easy because everyone is in the same position as you. However it is still important to put effort into being friendly with people, as having lots of familiar faces will ease the difficulty of being in new surroundings. A good way to do this is through joining societies, and meeting people who have similar interests as you.

2. Dont worry too much about freshers tickets.

There will be plenty of people without tickets to specific freshers events. This doesn’t mean other clubs won’t be available to you, and also doesn’t mean flat parties won’t exist. There are plenty of other options available to have a good time during fresher week, if you do miss out on freshers tickets.

3.Drinking culture is big, but not necessary.

If you choose not to drink alcohol for whatever reason, there is no need to worry. It can seem that all students care about is drinking, however there will be many others in the same position as you, and students who do drink should be understanding. There is no need to feel pressured into drinking or doing anything else you don’t feel comfortable with, as there will always be people who understand. 

4.The best clubs for students

It is no surprise that Sheffield ranks highly for student nightlife, however if you don’t know where to go for a good night out, below is a list of some of the best places.

CODE: a Student club with two floorsCORPORATION: With different music genres playing in all 4 of their rooms, there’s something for everyone.

LEADMILL: themed club nights

THE FOUNDRY: Arguably the best night out for Sheffield students.

For bars, West Street is the ideal place to go. Some highlights include: Tigerworks, Molly Malones, West Street live, Tropicana and Firepit.

A few other tips:

• If you are in Endcliffe/Ranmoor, the 120 bus is your life saver.
  • Download the ‘First Bus’ app to help with travelling.
  • Budget well and don’t blow your student finance at once.
  • Stay as clean as possible in the flat. 
  • Take photos of your accommodation before moving in to ensure nothing can be claimed against you when trying to get your deposit back.
  • It’s never too late to start over if you are unhappy with your course/accomodation/friend group etc.

Lastly, it can be very annoying having to experience what should be the best years of your life, during a pandemic. However do not let this ruin your experience; instead make the most of what you can do, and remember everyone is in the same boat as you are, so don’t be afraid to reach out.