Frustrating first home loss for Wednesday as they fall to late Oxford equaliser

It was a frustrating afternoon for Sheffield Wednesday in the wet and cold as they fell 2-1 to Oxford United.

James Henry scored a late winner in the 93rd minute which proved to be a sucker punch for the Owls, as they themselves went in search of a winner. Barry Bannan’s late piledriver from 30 years could only find the crossbar, which proved to be their last hope of an unlikely equaliser.

Wednesday had made two changes to their line-up that beat Wigan Athletic 2-1 in midfield. Captain Barry Bannan returned to the line-up for Sam Hutchinson, who dropped out of the side with an injury. Olamide Shodipo replaced Jaden Brown. The visitors made three changes, with Alex Gorrin, Sam Long and Jordan Thorniley coming in for James Henry, Mark Sykes and Luke McNally

The visitors started brightly, playing an enterprising brand of passing that saw Cameron Brannagan find Matty Taylor, whose effort went wide. But former Liverpool man Brannagan opened the scoring on the 12th minute, receiving the ball from the right and then hitting the net with low shot. Keeper Peacock-Farrell should have arguably done better.

Paterson and Bannan had a couple of chances but Oxford United held strong in the first half. The game’s pattern shifted in the second half, however, with the visitors openly wasting time, something that drew the ire of a frustrated home crowd. 

Saido Berahino had a good chance with a diving header after coming on at half-time, but it was Paterson who levelled in the 73th minute with a strong header. Wednesday pushed for a once-unlikely win but the equaliser was to be in vain.

A heart-warming moment of the day was the home faithful’s support for ex-player Jose Semedo, who had tragically lost his wife. The crowd gave him a standing ovation in the 6th minute, chanting his name, and the players held up his kit during the Paterson goal celebration.

It was Wednesday’s first home loss of the season, and they will hope to bounce back in the EFL Trophy game on Tuesday, away to Mansfield Town.

Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell; Palmer, Iorfa, Dunkley, Johnson; Adeniran, Wing (Dele-Bashiru 67’); Paterson, Bannan, Shodipo (Sow 61’); Gregory (Berahino 45’). Subs not used: Wildsmith, Brown, Corbeanu, Hunt. 

Oxford United: Stevens; Long, Moore, Thorniley, Seddon; Brannagan, Kane (Henry 58’), Gorrin; Holland, Taylor (Agyei 70’), Forde (Williams 84’). Subs not used: Eastwood, Mousinho, McNally, Cooper.

Referee: Andy Haines 

Goals: Sheffield Wednesday: Paterson 73’.

Oxford United: Brannagan 12’, Henry 93’.

Bookings: Sheffield Wednesday: Paterson 61’, Palmer 85’

Oxford United: Seddon 61’, Gorrin 80’

HT: 0 – 1

FT: 1 – 2.

Attendance: 22,060

Festival of Debate Review: Human Flourishing – A Conceptual Analysis

You may have been told you or your skills are ‘flourishing’ by a lecturer, friend, teacher or even family member since being at university....

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...