Pandemic causes surge in young adults smoking

A new study has found that there has been a substantial increase in young adults smoking during lockdown.

The study was completed by The University of Sheffield and UCL and has found a 25% increase in smoking in adults aged 18-34.

When compared to pre-pandemic  levels, 650,000 more young people are smoking, according to the study.

Researchers also found that over 4.5 million more adults would be classed as high-risk drinkers during the same period, with the percentage of people from lower socioeconomic groups increasing by 64%.

Dr Sarah Jackson, lead author of the study, said: “The first lockdown was unprecedented in the way it changes people’s day-to-day lives; We found that many smokers took this opportunity to stop smoking, which is fantastic. However, the first lockdown was also a period of great stress for many people, and we saw rates of smoking and risky drinking increase among groups hardest hit by the pandemic.”

She added:“It will be important to keep a close eye on how these increases in smoking and drinking develop over time to ensure appropriate support is made accessible for anyone who needs it.”

The researchers noted that people from lower income backgrounds, young adults and women are among those who have been disproportionately affected.

It is possible that many tried to use smoking and drinking to relieve stress or took them up in order to help them cope with the pandemic.

Colin Angus, Senior Research Fellow at the Sheffield Alcohol Research Group, said: “This study highlights the wider impacts of the Covid pandemic on people’s behaviour and the extent to which these impacts have varied across the population.”

Smoking is the biggest preventable cause of cancer, known to cause at least 15 types of cancer. Even drinking small amounts of alcohol can increase the risk of several types of cancer.

The research study was funded by Cancer Research UK. Michelle Mitchell, the charity’s chief executive, said: “There’s no safe level of smoking or drinking, and stopping smoking or cutting down drinking will help reduce your risk of cancer.”

Mitchell also  said that “public health campaigns and prevention services have a vital role to play in helping people to quit and also maintaining the motivation of those who have already made positive changes.”

She added: “The upcoming tobacco control plan for England is a key opportunity for the Government to reduce smoking rates, but this can only be achieved with sufficient investment.”

General Election 2024: Sheffield’s results

Labour won all six of Sheffield’s parliamentary constituencies at Thursday’s general election, on the way to a landslide victory across the country.  Marie Tidball won...

Only 45% of Arts & Theatre MPs returned to new Parliament

Last week’s General Election resulted in 55% of the former Parliament’s MPs with Arts & Theatre experience not return for the new session. Through...

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...