Sheffield doctors win awards for research

Two doctors at Sheffield Teaching Hospital have received awards for their research.

Dr Marian Schini, who is a consultant at the Metabolic Bone Centre (MBC) at Northern General and Dr Lorenza Mattia, who is a visiting clinical fellow at Sheffield Teaching Hospital, have won awards for their research on osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis is a condition that weakens the bones, therefore making them more fragile and likely to break.

Both doctors have been awarded the Young Investigator Award by the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research and will be presenting  their work virtually at next month’s annual meeting.

Besides her work in the MBC, Dr Schini is a clinical research fellow at the University of Sheffield.

Her work is related to treatment with zoledronic acid, which is a medication that can help lower the risk of hip and vertebral fractures.

A review by the Medicines Safety Committee shows that her work could enable more patients to have treatments with said medication which will reduce their risk of fracture.

The use of this medication would aid everyday practice both across the rest of the country and internationally.

Dr Mattia’s work investigating a type of  drug called bisphosphonate has also been acknowledged.

Her work has demonstrated that patients who were monitored with a blood test are more likely to have better outcomes in regards to bone density or in their decision to switch treatments if the medication was ineffective.

She said: “We are very proud that to have been recognised for this work, which we hope will lead to improved treatments and outcomes for patients with osteoporosis both here in Sheffield but also nationally and internationally.”

General Election 2024: Sheffield’s results

Labour won all six of Sheffield’s parliamentary constituencies at Thursday’s general election, on the way to a landslide victory across the country.  Marie Tidball won...

Only 45% of Arts & Theatre MPs returned to new Parliament

Last week’s General Election resulted in 55% of the former Parliament’s MPs with Arts & Theatre experience not return for the new session. Through...

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...