Sheffield Men’s 2s started their season with a crucial win in the opening game of the BUCS season, with a 4-2 victory against the Sheffield Men’s 3s.

The 3s took an early lead in the 5th minute through Jimmy Bunting, who finished well after good work from Jamie Schofield, whose mazy run weaved through the 2s defence- after failing to be tackled, the ball fell kindly for Jimmy.

The 2s had a chance soon after as Victory Akam demonstrated his ballistic pace by bursting through on goal but blasted over.

The equaliser did come in the 10th minute when 2s striker Kieran Aubrey used excellent strength to bully through on goal and calmly finish past goalkeeper Joe Mangan.

The 3s restored the lead in the 15th minute after Gino’s free-kick from 25 yards was fumbled by the goalkeeper and the follow up tucked home by Jamie Schofield.

In the 25th minute, the 2s responded as Victory, again, with his terrific pace, managed to race in behind the 3s backline to score the equaliser.

On the half-hour mark, Victory, a constant menace for the 2s, thundered a left-footed shot that bounced off both posts before being cleared to safety. A touch of fortune for the 3s.

In the 40th minute, the 3s managed to scramble Lorenzo’s header off the line from left-back, James’s brilliant cross to the back post- the follow-up shot from Tom was tipped over the crossbar.

On the stroke of halftime, the 2s took the lead for the first time, with Eddie Norton rising highest to meet Ed Berry’s corner.

The second half was a much closer affair, with the 3s coming out all guns blazing, pressing the 2s and commanding the midfield.

Excellent commanding defending from the 2s centre backs, Eddie Norton and John Eddy, kept the 2s in the game as the 3s vigorously chased an equaliser.

With half an hour remaining the 3s were unlucky not to level the score, as the 2s goalkeeper, Louis Austin, made a brilliant double save in a scrappy goalmouth scramble from a dangerous in-swinging corner. There was chaos in the 2s penalty area before the ball was eventually cleared to safety.

The double save proved pivotal because, on the 75th minute, Bruno Brown for the 2s pressed well to hunt down a weak back pass, dispossess Mangan, the 3s keeper, take it past him, before cooly slotting home into the open goal to seal the points and, a crucial opening day victory for the 2s.

John Eddy was elected 2s man of the match for his defensive efforts.

Next up for Sheffield 2s is an away trip against Huddersfield 1s, while Sheffield 3s have an away game against the University of Leeds 3s.