Live Review: Ross from Friends @ Hope Works

When I originally first heard of Ross from Friends, I, like many people, originally asked why David Schwimmer was performing in the UK. Surely he had better career opportunities?

However, after getting past my confusion, and actually listening to the Essex-based electronic DJ (whose real name is Felix Clary Weatherall), I was hugely impressed. His blend of simple synth melodies with complex, intense drums and bass created an incredibly unique sound; a perfect mix of lo-fi production and the technical, precise music of house. I instantly became a huge fan, so when the chance came up to see him perform in Sheffield, I was immensely excited.

The venue was Hope Works: a warehouse turned music venue in the heart of Kelham Island. This industrial setting proved to be the perfect backdrop for the type of music I was going to see. Small and intimate but not cramped, Hope Works has fantastic acoustics and that right mix of grime-y and beautiful. The best way to describe Hope Works is, I feel, romantically rough. 

Opening acts Otik and Changsie were clearly very talented DJs, with the tough act of preceding the main event. Whilst the crowd was enjoying their music, I felt quite bad for the DJs as their talents weren’t being fully appreciated by what was an understandably distracted crowd. 

By the time it reached 2:55, however, it was a different story. The half of the room, which at first had been swallowed up by a huge queue for the bar, dissipated, and what was left in its place was a crowd teeming with anticipation (although I guarantee you there were still a few people there who were expecting David Schwimmer to walk out on the stage). 

Ross from Friends certainly lived up to the anticipation. Making use of a live saxophone and guitar, as well as the already brilliant sounds of his own machines, Felix easily delivered one of the best live sets I have seen in ages. 

The whole production was incredible. The visuals deserve a special mention for how intensely beautiful they were, raising the songs to a whole new level by perfectly matching the emotion of the music. ‘Talk To Me You’ll Understand’ and ‘Love Divide’ were particular highlights, especially the former which coalesced with the visuals and the atmosphere to create an absolutely incredible performance.

I’ve always been a fan of Ross from Friends, but part of me has always thought that it would never be anything particularly of note to see him live. I am so glad I was so wrong, as that night is up in my pantheon of great live acts.